sp3

Looking for home security camera -

This is my first time posting on this forum. Any help/tips is greatly appreciated.

Looking for install a security camera for our home. We currently already have an alarm system and don't really want to ask them to install security cameras they offer as I dont like the idea of having them monitor the pics/videos it will take. I'd rather control that ourselves.

I just want a decent system that will record via motion detection. Not sure if I really want it recording 24/7 as that will take up so many space on the sd card or dvr system. That's also another question i have, for a simple home use, which do people prefer? Recording it on SD card or DVR system? I dont think I plan to add more cameras in the future. Whatever system I purchase now, most likely 3-4 cameras, 2 for outside and 1 or 2 inside, I will not be adding more in the future.

I also want to be able to get alerts and view from my phone if motion is detected outside or inside when we're not home. Someone is always home but I still want to see who's outside my door or for any reason in my backyard.

I've found Lorex online and they seem to have good reviews. They currently do NOT have the cloud system so all their systems either record on SD card or DVR. I dont know what ADT offers, maybe someone here have knowledge of ADTs security camera system. A friend of ours just installed D-Link.

This is my first time posting on this forum. Any help/tips is greatly appreciated.

Looking for install a security camera for our home. We currently already have an alarm system and don't really want to ask them to install security cameras they offer as I dont like the idea of having them monitor the pics/videos it will take. I'd rather control that ourselves.

I just want a decent system that will record via motion detection. Not sure if I really want it recording 24/7 as that will take up so many space on the sd card or dvr system. That's also another question i have, for a simple home use, which do people prefer? Recording it on SD card or DVR system? I dont think I plan to add more cameras in the future. Whatever system I purchase now, most likely 3-4 cameras, 2 for outside and 1 or 2 inside, I will not be adding more in the future.

I also want to be able to get alerts and view from my phone if motion is detected outside or inside when we're not home. Someone is always home but I still want to see who's outside my door or for any reason in my backyard.

I've found Lorex online and they seem to have good reviews. They currently do NOT have the cloud system so all their systems either record on SD card or DVR. I dont know what ADT offers, maybe someone here have knowledge of ADTs security camera system. A friend of ours just installed D-Link.

double posting is not going to get you a better response. ADT is junk. Dlink is junk. Start reading the ip/megapixel forum section. Understand the limitation of pixel based motion detection...learn about the camera options.

OK thanks...

I posted it here because i thought I might have posted it on the wrong forum the 1st time.. DIdn't see there was this home security camera forum before. Thanks and I will look into the other forum and read up on camera.. thanks.

If you need only one camera, then go for IP camera. If not, you may consider Cheap Analog System: Total Less U$200. Very Simple.

4 analog cameras + DVR (recording to WD1 or 960H) + HDD.

Most of DVRs support remote access over smart phone, when hooked to network.

Dont even consider analog..the resolution is poor...its outdated technology and takes more work to install. With ip you can run a single ethernet cable to the camera. For indoors you can use nice looking cube tabletop cameras.

If you need only one camera, then go for IP camera. If not, you may consider Cheap Analog System: Total Less U$200. Very Simple.

I need more than 1 camera... Probably about 3 or 4, one in the front, the back, and inside the house. THanks for your input...

I guess my next question is..... Is there a difference or is it just based on your needs between the system saving it in SD card or DVR system?

Seems like the wireless ones are saving it in SD card and that seems easier for setup? I"m still reading up on these things so any input is greatly appreciated. Lorex seems to have good reviews so I might get one of their system but when I go their website, there are so much to choose from. I know some of them are for bigger properties and businesses so I'd like to narrow it down... Looking at below. It's a

Wireless home monitoring system with 720p cameras "LW491HD"... Seems like a good system for starters, easy setup and good enough to monitor around the house and just right in front of street or driveway.

https://www.lorextechnology.com/Home-security-cameras-and-Wireless-home-camera-systems/Home-security-camera-system-with-HD-recording/prod590027.p

I need more than 1 camera... Probably about 3 or 4, one in the front, the back, and inside the house. THanks for your input...

I guess my next question is..... Is there a difference or is it just based on your needs between the system saving it in SD card or DVR system?

Seems like the wireless ones are saving it in SD card and that seems easier for setup? I"m still reading up on these things so any input is greatly appreciated. Lorex seems to have good reviews so I might get one of their system but when I go their website, there are so much to choose from. I know some of them are for bigger properties and businesses so I'd like to narrow it down... Looking at below. It's a

Wireless home monitoring system with 720p cameras "LW491HD"... Seems like a good system for starters, easy setup and good enough to monitor around the house and just right in front of street or driveway.

https://www.lorextechnology.com/Home-security-cameras-and-Wireless-home-camera-systems/Home-security-camera-system-with-HD-recording/prod590027.p

stay away from wireless, you have to run power to them anyway, you might as well run ethernet and do it right.

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-IP-NVR-with-2TB-HDD%2c-4-1080p-Cameras-with-130'-Night-Vision.product.100153164.html

If possibly "avoidable", do not go for "wireless". Not stable.

Storing compressed stream into SD Card can be regarded as a "Back Up",

Not stable and Expensive for long term & large data.

The one:

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-I ... 53164.html

Can be a good one: But Expensive. Check out their Cloud Service is Free.

Users are getting crowded, then poor services.

Another recommendation:

Search 720P (1.3MP) Cameras -HD-TVI or HD- CVI or HD-AHD type

and accompanied(paired) DVR (that is, HD-TVI, CVI, AHD types).

These cameras and DVR are becoming as cheap as Analog systems.

You can get one of these system, well under U$ 400,

including cable & 2TB HDD. You may search around... By Default, the DVRs enable you to watch the live stream view or recorded stream over network on your smart phone.

This looks good enough while securing your property. Having 2-3 cameras at various locations can be quite helpful. Had they given it a cloud storage it would have been a great deal.

if youre still in need of some cameras i can give a you a hand

Cam traina

Cam - yes I actually still in looking around for cameras... Just can't decide just so many out there. I have my eyes on that Lorex though and just trying to decide if I go with Lorex OR just have my security company ADT install their cameras for me so i dont have to worry about anything.... But reading reviews on their services, It makes me want to even change my security alarm out of ADT and go somewhere else... but taking my time, not in a hurry.

Here is an awesome deal at SamsClub. I purchased a similar system at costco for more bucks I upgraded from a 700tvl to these 3mp cameras. You will be so impressed with the 3MP resolution. I had my system for about a year and love it!!

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/8ch-1080p-nvr-8x4/prod16050413.ip?navAction=

I also have seen bad reviews about swann tech support. I have called twice and had no problems. I had them setup my system with static ip and they took over my computer and made it happen in about 20 min!

Hey,

This is just my personal opinion for what you might be looking. Personally I think the Q-see systems are very economically priced for the home consumer and do a fine job with what you are looking for as well as being user friendly.

If you want to go something other than wireless you could get an expensive 4 camera system. I just got one for a friend from Home Depot for $198, an 8 camera system with 4 cameras. Leaves expansion on down the in case you change your mind. And the new systems start off with some pretty nice 700 TVL resolution.

The new systems allow you to scan the QR code to your phones so you can view anytime home or remote. And you don't have to worry about becoming educated with port forwarding DNS client SW.

The systems that be set up with motion detection so you get an alarm as well as an email. You can also wire to desired TV's for life real time monitoring. And you can set up snapshots so they take a pic of the event and store it on your HD. They are exceptionally user friendly I have found as compared to Swann or Defender but that is just my personal opinion.

Hope this helps.

Misskittykats

Well, a suggestion is to get a 4ch camera system (includes cameras, dvr and hdd). Amazon is an EASY way to get some cameras: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=4ch+cctv+dvr+kit&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A4ch+cctv+dvr+kit

Floureon and Samsung are common brands people trust. Browse Amazon to see specific models that are popular. (Just make sure they are IR - Day/Night cameras.) Most run around 100 to 200 dollars depending on features.

And whether to record footage on SD card or HDD? HDDs is better than SD cards for recording due to the idea that there are only a finite amount of read/write cycles that an SD card will remain reliable. Also, read/write speeds are slower than an external HDD, even if you get a faster class of SD card. Still, for storage of files that are rarely used, an SD card would be an option.

Are you handy at doing installs yourself or are you looking for someone to put one in for you.

If you can do it yourself, then I would recommend you buying the stuff piece by piece.

I know of alot of people who buy Dahua cameras and either use a blue iris setup or a NVR, But you do not want to go analog, ya want a IP system, and for best night time coverage go 2mp max, unless you have a well lit area at night then the 4k is good.

If you prefer Hikvision cameras, then you can buy those direct from B&H photo, but they are costly there.

Congratulation for your first post, nice post, I think you should search online for home security camera and also can ask nearby. Thank you

https://www.reliablechimes.com/blogs/news/5-reasons-you-need-video-surveillance-cameras

Your website lists 5 reasons to buy cctv which are crap .... but can you add a 6th reason .

No-6 ......don’t buy expensive equipment from http://www.reliablechimes.com

$900 for a analog hd 4 camera system ..... with no monitor no power supple and not fitted.

Congratulations $900 makes you the most expensive 4 way analog hd seller on the internet

I can see why you need to spam .... it’s your stupid prices

Your 4 way atom dvr. D1 is over $650 ...... your cameras to go with it ..... 520tvl dome ..... your price $225 each.

So.

Dvr ............$650

4 cameras....$1000

Your asking $1.650 for a D1 recorder and 4 520tvl cameras

No monitor no cable no power supply....... that is robbery of the month