kokich

Any cameras with NO Cables to run for installation?

I'm looking to purchase a WiFi cameras but they still require to run the power cables.Are there any cameras out there that I can install that require absolutely no cables to run?

Edited by Guest

The only cameras (in this case sensors) that I know will not require cables and are battery operated are videofied camera sensors. These are used for alarm verification or perimeter protection. Maybe not what you are looking for, but they require no wires. You need a dealer to make these work, I could help you with that.

kokich,

Many battery powered cameras have plenty of drawbacks. They aren't highly regarded by the professionals here, eg: the consumer level Arlo camera. For a DIY, maybe they're okay....

Videofied is an exception, but I think you'll need a monthly monitoring contract. eeproject1 could tell you more.

Here's some links within this forum:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=45509&p=269427&hilit=arlo+camera#p269427

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=47574&hilit=arlo+camera

Brian

There are cameras with no wires just as there are cars with no motors - performance is about the same
Cars with no motors? Like this?

11550_1000x1000.thumb.jpg.6e5582cdda694e492beb27457c5bbf83.jpg

Honestly that was the system I was debating before I went full blown with patched together Avigilon system for my home. The Arlo requires very expensive CR123 batteries (I believe 4 in each camera) and operating life is reduced in the cold. Plus, there is no option of local storage and everything must be stored in the cloud....

However, the ease of install is unparalleled but thats about it....

There are other VERY severe deficiencies with the arlo system aside from having to replace the batteries. First, they cannot display video on monitor 24/7 or for any length of time because the batteries would drain. Second, they dont get any pretrigger recording because the camera relies on the pir sensor to turn it on. You actually miss some recording. Third, hefty perpetual monthly fees to store any decent amount of recordings. Its cheaper to hire someone to pull wire and install a system in the long run. Forth, its wifi. The arlo should never be used.