Sign in to follow this  
edstevens

suggestions for home security camera / dvr system

I'm sure this is generally a common question. Even picking a forum to join and ask is a bit of a shot in the dark. After spending several hours trying to read/compare reviews, tech specs, etc. on several systems I need some help at least cutting down on the clutter. I'm looking for a system with the following:

Support for up to 4 cameras

one camera indoors, two outdoors but under a covered porch. Possibly a 4th camera fully exposed to the elements.

Wireless cameras, not counting need for AC power. (battery powered would be great, but I've not seen such, and given the power needs, wouldn't expect it.)

Motion detection.

Ability to monitor on Android

Real time alert on Android

Ability to NOT have the DVR sound an audible alarm. The entire idea of these systems is they are not really going to prevent break-ins, but will provide plenty of forensics. To that end, you don't need your collection point calling attention to itself.

Ability to select the communication band of the wireless, so that it doesn't flood bandwidth and interfere with other streaming on the home network.

It appears that Lorex has some systems that meet all of the above, but I see a lot of bad reviews on several sites, regarding product quality (DOA or early failures) and lousy to non-existent customer support.

So with all of the above in mind, can someone help me narrow my search or point me to some place that would be more appropriate, if not here?

If you're in the US, you can check out the other brands Costco has. Since they have great return policy, you could give them a try and return if you don't like them. The features you mentioned are very common in most systems.

Sometimes I also suggest asking a local installer since they are more experienced in which models are more stable.