Sign in to follow this  
sdv1120

Want to backup CCTV DVR HDD to windows PC

I've got a tiger security 16 CH DVR. The backup process is very slow and buggy.

I want to copy all the files directly off the HDD to a windows laptop, so I can review them when I have time and keep them for later and not have them over written. The files are in .264 format.

Think the DVR OS is a proprietary Linux. My windows PC doesn't recognize it when I connect the HDD to the laptop with a SATA USB cable.

Thanks

DVR backup are mainly use for incident backup, and not to back up ALL files.

To copy 1 TB of file, you'll need at least 1TB of space.

Since you are intending to copy everything off the harddisk, why not just swap in a new HDD to your DVR ?

Check if there are software available from the manufacturer to playback the HDD if it is connected directly to your computer.

Most DVR format their harddisk as Ext format (linux).

You can find software to mount the partition, but you might not be able to playback the files as well as the backup files and the files structure used for recording are most likely different.

If you just intend to have longer period of recording so that you can have longer time to review them, just increase the HDD size installed.

Otherwise if you want to review everything and never do it in pace with the recording, you'll always lag behind, and you'll have accumulative period of footage (translate that to more and more HDD with backups).

Having issues with my neighbors.

The max size of the HD on this unit is 1TB (wanted to go to 4TB bought a HDD but it wouldn't work (checked with maker afterwards).

The backup is just SO SLOW for 1 or 2 files it drives me mad.

Then to review the files I need to have it in the DVR, and it starts to overwrite - it's not a great solution.

As an IT guy, I know the files can be copied faster and if I can get them off the linux drive, I can convert them and review them quicker with other software rather than the slow playback.

The files are backed up as .264, but I cannot see on the HDD to see what they are in native.

Thanks

Backing up through network or USB ?

Some system comes with USB 1 instead of 2... so speed is pretty slow.

As said, the backup function of most DVR are basically for incident backup, 10 , 15 mins etc. Not really for downloading the whole HDD.

1TB over USB 2 will take at least 5.5 hours if the harddisk is not in use for other purpose at almost full throughput.

If it's also concurrently recording, the time taken will more than double.

I know it would be slow, would want to swap the HDD, then copy via USB 2 on a separate laptop to a HDD over night, that would take the 5 hrs and I would have all the files backed up for review at a later time when I find damage on my property a few weeks later.

Also one issue with the neighbors they lie and create stories where I am involved. Like I kicked their dog 3 weeks ago. So now I need to have some video of where I was or wasn't 3 weeks ago to show that their story is total BS.

The issue right now is that when connected to my laptop via a SATA USB cable, the HDD is not readable.

This is what I really need help with.

Thanks

I know it would be slow, would want to swap the HDD, then copy via USB 2 on a separate laptop to a HDD over night, that would take the 5 hrs and I would have all the files backed up for review at a later time when I find damage on my property a few weeks later.

Just keep that HDD then. If you need it, then plug it back to your DVR and playback.

Also one issue with the neighbors they lie and create stories where I am involved. Like I kicked their dog 3 weeks ago. So now I need to have some video of where I was or wasn't 3 weeks ago to show that their story is total BS.

Unless your Camera is pointing to something that can be verified to be of a particular date/time, the DVR datetime could always be changed to fake a recording.

The issue right now is that when connected to my laptop via a SATA USB cable, the HDD is not readable.

This is what I really need help with.

Thanks

As mentioned, just keep that HDD. If you need the record, plug in back to the DVR to copy the incident (10-15mins of recording) out.

In the long run, you might want to consider changing to something that can record for the period that you want.