RockThis52

How is this system for a residential home?

https://www.amazon.ca/Security-Superior-Weatherproof-Technology-Smartphone/dp/B00ZW63ESC/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1468258619&sr=1-4&keywords=dvr

I plan on buying the 4 camera package w/o an HDD and buy an HDD separate.

Are the specs good in terms of quality? I have no knowledge about video and video recording and my google searches on the topic do not help me.

For example it says it records at 12 FPS but plays back at 30 FPS. Any issues? Also is the quality true 1080p? I.e. I see 960H and 800TVL, do these contradict the fact that it could be 1080p?

In terms of the daytime and night time quality, are they considered good quality for a residential property? Will I be able to make out a license plate from about 20-30 feet away in the day or night time? I don't have acres of land so I'm not looking for something that will record very far. It says it has 85ft of night time recording distance which I'm ok with.

Finally, as a general guide, if I buy a 1TB HDD, how long of recorded footage am I expected to get? I found a source which said:

@30FPS and 1280X1024, then I can expect about 8 days of footage (or 2 days since there are 4 cameras). But I'm not sure if it's applicable for this setup.

https://www.seagate.com/files/staticfiles/docs/pdf/whitepaper/video-surv-storage-tp571-3-1202-us.pdf

Thanks for any help in advance!

For example it says it records at 12 FPS but plays back at 30 FPS. Any issues? Also is the quality true 1080p? I.e. I see 960H and 800TVL, do these contradict the fact that it could be 1080p?

Hi. It is way off 1080p it is just a basic analog system

The spec is put in such away to sell but forget the spec it's all crap

Records at 12fps .... But playback is 30fps .... That can't happen

Onvif..... Is more crap for a analog system

If you have a better budget I would go cvi or IP .... Even if you go down to only 4 cameras you will get better images

Just checked out some IP cameras on Costco, holy crap they're expensive. Should I stay away from analog in general? or are there still decent analog surveillance systems?

Just checked out some IP cameras on Costco, holy crap they're expensive. Should I stay away from analog in general? or are there still decent analog surveillance systems?

If you insist on analog, then go with a cvi/tvi HD over coax system. Costco will have 1080p lorex/swann analog systems.

IF you go this route run ethernet and use baluns so you can upgrade to ip without rewiring.

For home applications with a rather tight budget, the conventional analog systems would be OK. Good quality Cameras should be less than U$20 each and 8 Ch DVR less than U$40. Buy a DVR that allows D1 or WD1(960H) recording for each camera. HD- Analog systems, HD -AHD or HD-TVI, could cost a bit more than the conventional analog systems. Of course, if you play a budget of more than U$100 per camera, then IP camera system.

Wow thanks for the help. If I buy everything separate, will it come out cheaper? And are there compatibility issues? Or can I buy any dvr with any analog cameras?

Wow thanks for the help. If I buy everything separate, will it come out cheaper? And are there compatibility issues? Or can I buy any dvr with any analog cameras?

Amazon, E-Bay, Alibaba, etc are the place you can shop around. Check out Costco, Sam's, Lorex whether they have a package deal with much cheaper delivery cost. FYI, you do not have compatibility issues with analog systems. Any analog DVR supports any analog cameras. One more, select DVR that supports D1 or WD1 recording for each camera. Old DVRs were limited to CIF recording for each camera. Thus poor visual quality.

If you dont know what you are doing, buy a kit. Or find a seller that will custom create a kit.

No, despite what sunnykim says, the d1 and wd1 are HORRIBLE resolution (hes a china scammer) you cannot mix and match all analog. Hes is referring to low resolution analog that you dont want anyway. You generally cannot mix and match HD over coax systems, like cvi/tvi.

You want at least 1080p.