Sign in to follow this  
bper

Is it worth maintaining or should I upgrade system?

Hi all. We have a Q-See QT426 16 channel DVR with 14 Q-See QSDS 14273W cameras and 2 Q-See QM1201B 900 TVL cameras. We've had the system for over 2 years, but have replaced the cameras a few times. These cameras are used in both outdoor and indoor locations for day and nighttime recording. When the cameras fail, we attempt to replace them. However, since the system is old, I wanted your recommendation as to whether or not we should upgrade.

I assume that these cameras are analog and most cameras available for purchase are now HD. But I believe to buy HD cameras, I would have to change the DVR and probably the the wires also. The current cameras have BNC connections.

So, should I continue to maintain this system (so long as it works and I can find the cameras) or am I trying to keep something alive that is already dead and terribly obsolete? I don't necessarily need to have the latest and greatest, I just want to be able to function and, should a disaster arise, be able to be up and running again in a reasonable amount of time.

Your comments and suggestions are highly appreciated!

Thanks.

Well at some stage your going to have to bite the bullet and upgrade. One thing in your favour is that alalogue cameras are very cheap now but they wont be around forever. So you have a choice as to your future direction - IP or HD analogue (AHD , CVI ,TVI). I am NOT convinced that IP is the way to go for domestic installations considering the potential networking problems and the current prices for the gear. Unless you are going >5Mp then HD analogue will give comparable results at half the cost.

Personally I would perservere with what you have until the DVR fails or you cant get (cheap) analogue cameras anymore which is the least likely of the two scenarios. Then you make your decision about your future direction.

Hi. I would start by changing your recorder .... Yours is a q-see which is a dahua ... So I would look for there new multi system which you will find on flir lorex website.

Then you can use your existing cameras and add as they go with new 1080

Standard analog are not worth it but if you look at the new all in one camera TVI CVI AHD 1080p 960h. Which are around $50

You can build a good system

Yes the 960 system is inferior now. 1080P must be seen to be appreciated. This analog system give 85% of what an IP system can give for 1/3 the price. This $699 Costco/ lorex Model #LHV16212 1080P system uses the BNC 59 connectors if your wiring is decent (copper) quality:

$699 http://www.costco.com/Lorex-16-Channel-HD-Analog-DVR-with-2TB-HDD%2c-12-1080p-Cameras-with-130'-Night-Vision.product.100220740.html

Link to video of 720P (1080P is even better) system on youtube:

My local Costco has the 8 channel version ($499) of this on active display so see if yours does to see and touch it.

*** If you get this the fan needs replaced at $6 ***

*** $8 fixed lenses are available to change zoom up to (16mm) X4. ***

Jim