Sign in to follow this  
corekkz1

Any feedback on outdoor Nest Cam ? Or other recommendations?

I was considering buying/installing a tribrid DVR with EX-SDI,which from what I've read are the best, or HD-tvi or HD-cdi camera

The challenge is I'm not very tech savvy when it comes to cameras , I need something quick and easy to install. So while researching online I came across the Outdoor Nest Cam. Cost around $200

I like the fact that it's easy to set up and I don't have to drill holes thru my house.Don't really like the $10 per month fee for the cloud but I can live wiht it I guess.

It only comes with a 25 ft cable. Can I extend the length of the cable and how can I secure the camera itself / plug (since it's gonna be outdoors)?

The only thing I didn;t understand is can I view the cameras live on a monitor/TV?

Also can I view them from 3 different places- my house office,living room and bedroom?

Also I think I can talk thru the cam,correct?

Anyone had those? What is your experience and recommendations?

Thanks a lot !

They are wireless cameras, so they are just as good as your wireless network. If you are looking at the outdoors one, make sure you have great signal up to where you are going to install it.

Also they are full HD and do upload the footage to google (Nest is google), so if you are looking to install many of them, they will use up your upload speed.

Other than that, they are pretty good and really easy to install. You can view them from your phone or via a web browser on your nest account.

Thank you for your reply.I guess I'll buy 1 to try it out but I'm still considering setting up a system with a Tribrid DVR.

Would every camera work with a Tribrid DVR and what are the best cameras out there?

Thanks!

Please not that Nest cams cannot be connected to a DVR. They are connected to the could and all storage and viewing is through google's servers.

I would go with IP cams from Dahua or Hikvision.

Also, do you have old analog cameras you want to connect? do you really need a tribid?

Yes, I know they cannot be connected to a DVR.I just need smth ASAP and I like how easy they are to set up,view,etc...

In the future I would like to build a nice DVR system. And, yes I have old Zmodo cameras but I don't like them...

From my research I came to the conclusion tribrid are the best DVRs and I would like to have IP cameras as well as non-IP in case internet goes down,etc...so thats why I was considering Tribrid cause it will give me the freedom of connecting many different cameras..I believe...Right me if I'm wrong. I don't know much about camera systems

Thanks!

A tribrid will give you that freedom, yes. If you are getting all new IP cameras, then you should not need one. If you are looking to use your old ones, then sure. I would personally use IP cams only.

By the way, when you use regular IP cameras connected to a DVR, they will continue working even without an internet connection, as they run in the local network.

Oh, I didn't realize that. I thought you need internet all the time to run IP cameras. Good to know. What kind of DVR would you recommend then? And what kind/brand of IP cameras? What do you think about the ex-sdi? vs hd-sdi?

Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it !

I would go with a Hikvision or Dahua DVR + cameras. Make sure you get a DVR with enough channels in case you want to add more cameras later.

If you get them from a Chinese provider, make sure the firmware is in english.

There are some Hikvision and Dahua repackaged and sold with other brands like Lorex, and LTS.

There are some great suggestions in some other topics in this forum. Find a package in your price range and post it here.

With respect to ex-sdi vs hd-sdi I am no expert but my understanding is they are both best in class and both are digital, basically both are great. Sorry I can't help you choose there

No problem. You'he helped me a lot already. I'll continue with my research, get a DVR and cameras one by one.I'll get different types/brands and see which one works the best for me.

I just purchased an outdoor Nest cam last night and I couldn't be happier.It took me 15 mins to set up and install and it works like a charm.

Thanks again!

No problem. You'he helped me a lot already. I'll continue with my research, get a DVR and cameras one by one.I'll get different types/brands and see which one works the best for me.

I just purchased an outdoor Nest cam last night and I couldn't be happier.It took me 15 mins to set up and install and it works like a charm.

Thanks again!

Hi . I would leave hikvision alone otherwise you will be buying old stock.

Look at dahua there recorders run all types of camera and tvi or cvi are very low price.... 2mp start at £25 - $30

And nest cameras can be added to recorders and also have a viewing app

Thank you for your reply! What do you mean by "And nest cameras can be added to recorders and also have a viewing app"?

I can add the Nest cams to my future Tribrid DVR and view them on an app without payment them $10 per month?

That's great news mate !

How would that work though since you plug the nest cameras into the power outlet and not run them directly into the DVR?

I guess off the Wi-fi ,correct?