Sign in to follow this  
bstage

Need a product recomendation

I've got a large home in the country (USA Minnesota) and need to set up a system for my home. I'm intent on 3mp+ for resolution and want POE for ease of installation. I'm a contractor so the install isn't a problem but I'd like software that doesn't make me aggravated. Please give me some links to systems with storage and 4-6 cameras

I've got a large home in the country (USA Minnesota) and need to set up a system for my home. I'm intent on 3mp+ for resolution and want POE for ease of installation. I'm a contractor so the install isn't a problem but I'd like software that doesn't make me aggravated. Please give me some links to systems with storage and 4-6 cameras

I'd recommend what I did, Hikvision turrets (or dome or bullet if you prefer). They're fairly cheap and seem to be reliable and well-liked, and have withstood a little over 1 year of MN weather. For storage/NVR, I personally can't recommend an off-the-shelf system; it locks you in to it's faults and if you don't like something about it, you're screwed. I built my own NVR with simply a computer and a license of Xeoma, but use whatever software you prefer. I've found Xeoma to be light on resource requirements, reliable and nearly idiot-proof. Those items together with a PoE network switch, or non-PoE along with a midspan from Ebay. Even new midspans that retail for hundreds of dollars sell on ebay for 1/10 that.

I've had this type of system running for over a year and I'm very happy with it.

I'd recommend what I did, Hikvision turrets (or dome or bullet if you prefer). They're fairly cheap and seem to be reliable and well-liked, and have withstood a little over 1 year of MN weather. For storage/NVR, I personally can't recommend an off-the-shelf system; it locks you in to it's faults and if you don't like something about it, you're screwed. I built my own NVR with simply a computer and a license of Xeoma, but use whatever software you prefer. I've found Xeoma to be light on resource requirements, reliable and nearly idiot-proof. Those items together with a PoE network switch, or non-PoE along with a midspan from Ebay. Even new midspans that retail for hundreds of dollars sell on ebay for 1/10 that.

I've had this type of system running for over a year and I'm very happy with it.

I've got an extra pc understand the benefits but it seams that the cost of a system like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16881183095 is far lower than buying cameras and building it myself.

If I got these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABFE4A22755 would the camera/system perform that much better? Also I saw this 3mp model, would a 1mp bump in resolution be a noticeable difference for a guy trying to keep his house safe? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA50K4NK8640

I've got an extra pc understand the benefits but it seams that the cost of a system like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16881183095 is far lower than buying cameras and building it myself.

If I got these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABFE4A22755 would the camera/system perform that much better? Also I saw this 3mp model, would a 1mp bump in resolution be a noticeable difference for a guy trying to keep his house safe? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA50K4NK8640

I can't say if the system for $499 is any good, but in general you get what you pay for. The problem with some of these all-in-one systems is sometimes (but not always) you may not be able to add additional cameras unless they are the same brand. I personally really dislike bundled systems since I prefer generic systems that will work with anything else. Or, say the NVR fails. Are you locked into buying a replacement from the same company, and will those cameras work with a PC-based NVR?

Another advantage of piecing together your own is you can buy one camera, try it out, and buy more if you like that one. Or, buy slightly different cameras for different locations, e.g. different focal lengths. Just my opinion of course. Many people buy bundled systems and are apparently happy.

I don't have any experience with 4MP cameras, but I'm quite happy with my 3MP. My advice would be to buy 4MP if your budget allows. In my opinion however, 3MP does quite well.

Yes that switch would be fine. But, you likely don't need gigabit just for 6 cameras. The Hikvision cameras I have will run up to 12Mbit, so even that's under what a 100Mb switch would handle with 6 cameras. But I have my cameras set to 3Mbit and it's just fine. I can't see the need to run them anywhere close to 12. 100Mbit switches are much cheaper.

Hi. Buying gray market hikvision you are wasting your money.

And you never buy from Shenzhen city. That tells you they are a copy..... And DO NOT have hik warranty.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how much risk one is comfortable with vs. how much less they pay.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how much risk one is comfortable with vs. how much less they pay.

Nothing to do with risk.

Hik have changed there ipc setup and are about to update there software ..... Then see how the gray market works out for you.

And regarding price ....... Newegg costs more .... For the brand listed.

Newegg 12 months warranty ...... Hik gives 3 years as standard

Nothing to do with risk.

Hik have changed there ipc setup and are about to update there software ..... Then see how the gray market works out for you.

And regarding price ....... Newegg costs more .... For the brand listed.

Newegg 12 months warranty ...... Hik gives 3 years as standard

It is based on risk. I bought 3 gray market cams more than a year ago and they work great. Now if one or more fails before 3 years, I'm probably out of luck. If not, I'm good and paid less for them. Barring any hardware failure, they will continue to stream video just as they are right now regardless of F/W version.

I don't know how much more legit ones are because it's difficult to figure out who is authorized....but my guess is, based on numbers I've seen in various places, they cost quite a bit more.

So, if legit ones are say 25% more, I'd prefer that.

I'm not sure what IPC setup is (SADP tool?), but based on all the gray market cameras being sold, I guess I'll be in good company if they somehow become bricked intentionally by the OEM.

EDIT: I decided to look again at Hikvision's list of US distributors. Most appear to not be setup to sell to small end users. MCM does, but their IP cam selection is somewhat lacking.

Then I found Norfolk Wire seems to be setup to allow direct purchases. I happened to find my camera, DS-2CD2332, and they want $313 for one. LOL. I paid less than that for three (3) from a US retailer, new in box, shipped. No wonder there's so many gray market customers.

I hope you understand gray market are not made by hik ?

They are from Shenzhen. And soon will not work with hik software.

Hikvision have only just started taking steps about copy / gray cameras.

OK, so who can provide me with a link to a reputable retailer selling genuine Hik with descent pricing. I'm going to get 4mp bullet cams

Located in MN and being a contractor I've registered for accounts with Anixer and ADI. Anyone know who's got the best pricing on this stuff on the distro level? There tends to be a dramatic range in pricing with distro's buying something from Holdahl or Grainger the price is always 20-30% higher than you can get it online.

Is there a rule against recommending a place to buy this gear on here? Theres gotta be a couple places you've identified as reputable online dealers located in the US

ADI. Is a good place to start.

As far as 20 -30% in price. ..... ... But the cheaper are a copy. Not made by hik

What is your budget

I don't really have a budget. I thought $150 per camera would be a good number in my head. I'm thinking of starting with 4-6 cameras and being prepared for 8. Is there a web vendor I can buy from who offers good pricing without waiting to open an account?

No, I did not know this. This is counter to what I have read up to this point. I was of the understanding that gray market are Chinese market Hikvision reflashed with English language firmware. I find it hard to believe that otherwise reputable US resellers are selling essentially counterfeit products. Do you have any links or info on this? I'm genuinely curious.

No, I did not know this. This is counter to what I have read up to this point. I was of the understanding that gray market are Chinese market Hikvision reflashed with English language firmware. I find it hard to believe that otherwise reputable US resellers are selling essentially counterfeit products. Do you have any links or info on this? I'm genuinely curious.

Hik from Shenzhen. Are not made by hikvision they are a copy / gray market. We have a avigilon 5mp from Shenzhen .... Does that make it copy ?? Yes.

A genuine hikvision can have firmware for any region problem is it has to be a true hikvision.

Look at all the hacks on this forum for the Shenzhen china copies....

Hik have now stopped telnet and also factory passwords ...... You now generate a user name and password on first plugin.

Look at the ops link ........ 2 years warranty is with hikvision ......hik will not deal with end user.........that is the first give away it's a copy.

Second is like all copy and gray it tells you it is on v5.3.3. Which is not supported by hik.

Hik from Shenzhen. Are not made by hikvision they are a copy / gray market. We have a avigilon 5mp from Shenzhen .... Does that make it copy ?? Yes.

A genuine hikvision can have firmware for any region problem is it has to be a true hikvision.

Look at all the hacks on this forum for the Shenzhen china copies....

Hik have now stopped telnet and also factory passwords ...... You now generate a user name and password on first plugin.

Look at the ops link ........ 2 years warranty is with hikvision ......hik will not deal with end user.........that is the first give away it's a copy.

Second is like all copy and gray it tells you it is on v5.3.3. Which is not supported by hik.

I'm a bit confused. When you say from Shenzhen, are you referring to a seller called this, a manufacturer, or the city? Because everything I could find about the gray market Hikvisions indicate they are real Hikvisions with hacked firmware. For example, the ones I got match exactly with what many websites describe as Chinese version Hikvisions with hacked english firmware, down to the box they came in. I couldn't find anything about faked Hikvisions (that actually try to appear as a Hik), but I'd like to see some pics or information if they exist.

Shenzhen City is the copy capital...... Gray market

Hik do not sell on eBay and the likes. .... And if you think the 1000s of sellers on eBay and the likes are authorised sellers

And like I said to you .LOOK at the ops listing and the warning ...... It comes with V5.3.3 ...... Hik would not give that warning and also hik would not sell there cameras with 2014 software. ITs 2 years old hack. And order is from Shenzhen. NOT HIKVISION.

I would also recommend staying clear of Zmodo, from personal experience. They look good, but plagued with problems and lack of support.

I am now building my own, that way, if something goes wrong - I am in control.

Shenzhen City is the copy capital...... Gray market

Hik do not sell on eBay and the likes. .... And if you think the 1000s of sellers on eBay and the likes are authorised sellers

And like I said to you .LOOK at the ops listing and the warning ...... It comes with V5.3.3 ...... Hik would not give that warning and also hik would not sell there cameras with 2014 software. ITs 2 years old hack. And order is from Shenzhen. NOT HIKVISION.

It's still not apparent to me that these are fake hardware. I'm not being argumentative, I'm just trying to learn. I realize that Hikvision doesn't sell on eBay, but what stops someone from buying them in China from Hikvision and selling them on eBay?

For the firmware, this doesn't seem all that odd to me. I don't know the specifics of how the F/W works on these, but let's say someone in China buys a large lot of them (with Chinese lang. F/W) and reflashes with english firmware, but perhaps older versions of english F/W are easier to flash over the Chinese F/W. In addition, if these were indeed fake hardware, why not claim it's a newer version of F/W?

My original understanding is the hardware is authentic Hikvision, but firmware has been fiddled with (which voids warranties, etc), but it sounds like you're saying the hardware is also fake.....but I can't find any discussion of this anywhere else online.