ericz

PoE system in garage linked to house router by Zyxel EoP?

Hi All,

I am totally new to security cameras but need to set something up for garage / backyard as well as house / front porch.

My 16 x 18 garage is on an alley and our privacy-fenced backyard is small. Maybe 40' from alley gate to back porch. I want to put a camera inside the garage, then have three more outside: two facing down the alley left and right, and the third facing towards the back porch. I also will have a second system with cameras inside the house at front and back doors, as well as outside at front porch and side walkways. But this post is more about the garage setup.

The garage is wired for power, but not for phone or cat 5. So I was wondering if I could set up my system with an NVR and four PoE cameras and then connect the system to the Verizon FiOS router in the house with Zyxel ethernet-over-power adapters.

At this point I am still looking at systems, so I might post some other messages relating to actual component combinations as well as in-house system setup, but first I wanted to ask this question about getting the data from the garage back to the house. It's too far for reliable WiFi, so I thought about the Zyxel solution since I already have the adaptors and they work really well for regular data around the house.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Hi All,

I am totally new to security cameras but need to set something up for garage / backyard as well as house / front porch.

My 16 x 18 garage is on an alley and our privacy-fenced backyard is small. Maybe 40' from alley gate to back porch. I want to put a camera inside the garage, then have three more outside: two facing down the alley left and right, and the third facing towards the back porch. I also will have a second system with cameras inside the house at front and back doors, as well as outside at front porch and side walkways. But this post is more about the garage setup.

The garage is wired for power, but not for phone or cat 5. So I was wondering if I could set up my system with an NVR and four PoE cameras and then connect the system to the Verizon FiOS router in the house with Zyxel ethernet-over-power adapters.

At this point I am still looking at systems, so I might post some other messages relating to actual component combinations as well as in-house system setup, but first I wanted to ask this question about getting the data from the garage back to the house. It's too far for reliable WiFi, so I thought about the Zyxel solution since I already have the adaptors and they work really well for regular data around the house.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

I don't have all of your answers, but do have a few suggestions concerning your topics.

While adding cameras, I suggest adding one inside the garage, too. If the day ever comes for you to sell your home, there are a ShLoad of crooked realtors who will bring in their family/friends as potential buyers, but once inside of the garage, they'll steal from your toolbox, plus adjust your garage door over-travel, so that upon the buyers inspection, the garage door opener breaks. Conveniently, they have a quick reply of "I've got a guy who can take care of that....it's just $500.." Even though,the door opener has worked perfectly for it's whole life. The camera mounted above my outside A/C unit, prevented the same crooks form "venting the refrigerant." They bent over and started to unscrew the fill caps, then noticed the camera and walked away.

As for wiring..... it really isn't difficult to run new wires in your garage. Plus, if it takes longer than expected,.... its the garage, not the front room. I personally prefer wires because it take a lot more effort to cause interference on a wired system versus a wireless system. I have my cameras wired, and recording, but the viewing display is wireless and also, via a HDMI cable.

As for the Cel Phone routers....I strongly am against them. The one that I once had, used my internet service, (that I paid for) to make the Cel Phone company's service (which I also paid for) better for everyone else....meaning others who where on the same cel network, but not contribute to my power bill nor my internet bill.

I don't know anything about the Zyxel solution.

Good luck, I hope that I helped...

ericz,

This should work. I did the same thing at a relative's house. Detached garage has cameras going to a POE switch in the garage. POE switch plugs into a TP-Link powerline ethernet adapter. The other adapter goes in the house near the DVR and then plugs into the DVR and it works great.

There's something to do with the phase or branch that the circuits are on for the powerline over ethernet adapters to work right. I guess if you have some Zyxel's and they work, you should be good to go.