Sign in to follow this  
euclid99

legal issues for security cameras

My neighbor is a chronic snooper and likes to spy on me over the fence whenever I'm in my back yard. Over the years I have tried to ignore her but recently her behavior has been particularly invasive. On one occasion she cut down some of my bushes lining the fence claiming they were to close to her fence. Can I aim a security camera at her front door which is directly in line with her spying perch to intimidate her into leaving me alone? Some have told me that it is legal as long as I

put up a sign saying 'you are on video'. Is this true? Is there any legal issue at all if I leave the camera unplugged or use a decoy camera? Does anyone have another idea as to how I can discourage this activity?

This would depend entirely on the laws for your location. Where I am any action that is for the purpose of intimidation , harrassment , causes offence or duress would put you in trouble. I'm willing to bet that your neighbour would (rightly or wrongly) have a similar story to tell about you. Why dont you talk to them and if a solution cant be worked out then just agree to stay out of each other face

Check laws for your state, you should be able to google it and get the info you need. In Michigan as long as its in line of sight no problem. Put it up high and if you can see into there yard oh well its line of sight....

Check laws for your state, you should be able to google it and get the info you need. In Michigan as long as its in line of sight no problem. Put it up high and if you can see into there yard oh well its line of sight....

I would be revising your understanding of your laws cause that has to be the weirdest statement I've seen in a long time. EVERYTHING the camera is viewing is in line of sight else it wouldn't be viewing it.