Sign in to follow this  
rec777

Installations on older wood siding homes

on newer homes hiding wires in vinyl siding is very easy. Lately I've been getting into more installations and older homes. I have an upcoming job on a very old home which is all wood siding and has lots of woodwork. Accessing from the inside the walls in most locations is not going to happen so most of the install will be on the exterior surface mount. Im just trying to come up with a strategy so its not so horrible to look at. Any new methods or suggestions anyone can recommend?

on newer homes hiding wires in vinyl siding is very easy. Lately I've been getting into more installations and older homes. I have an upcoming job on a very old home which is all wood siding and has lots of woodwork. Accessing from the inside the walls in most locations is not going to happen so most of the install will be on the exterior surface mount. Im just trying to come up with a strategy so its not so horrible to look at. Any new methods or suggestions anyone can recommend?

Hi. You could use power line plugs to minimise cable runs.

Also people alway think cameras have to be installed on the house. Looking at mounting them elsewhere might also be a option for you

Hi. You could use power line plugs to minimise cable runs.

Also people alway think cameras have to be installed on the house. Looking at mounting them elsewhere might also be a option for you

Power line plugs look like an interesting option but the cable still needs to get from the camera into the house.

Im also looking at using some of the camera junction boxes for this install because they still haven't figured out how to build a common camera without all the big plug adapters on it...

Im a licensed master electrician so running and hiding cables is common game, but since I've gotten into cctv options are so limited on these older homes...Im used to hiding all wiring and cables.

We ran them along the corner at the top of the wall where it joins the soffet and then covered with a molding.

I live in a manufactured home so I don't have attic access. I needed to get all my cat 6 cable under the house some how. I didn't want to cut any of the interior sheetrock. I ran all the Cat 6 cable up inside my enclosed soffits to the cameras and, then down steel conduit which is hidden behind my gutter downspouts. I painted the conduit the same color as the downspouts which conceals it even better. The fact that I had steel vents in my soffits every six feet or so allowed me to remove the vents and reach up inside to pull the Cat 6 cable to the various cameras.

20171122_095657_resized.thumb.jpg.ae5facd4133786b5e66fded155587d06.jpg

20171122_095720_resized.thumb.jpg.7e02cbca7bbcd81f3bf253b8a3fa636e.jpg