Sign in to follow this  
voyager

Install surveilance camera + motion detecting security light

I bought and began the installation of a home video security system over a year ago.

I think it is about time to finish the installation.

EDIT:

After seeing my join date, maybe it was 3 years ago I began this installation.

I want to place a camera out along our driveway to monitor anything coming into it.

I will also be mounting a motion sensing light with the camera.

The infrared night vision is not very detailed and is unlikely to give good ID of any intruder.

A bright motion sensing light would take care of that failing, as soon as the camera adjusted to the change in light level.

It would also be another very good deterrent to trespassers.

The big problem with using a motion sensor is the width of the motion sensing area.

Basically we live on a clearing in the jungle.

The driveway is only about 12' to 15' wide, and lined with thick, heavy vegetation.

There is little doubt that winds on the vegetation will set off the motion detector unless the sensitivity is set very low, maybe even off.

Is the a way to limit the width of the motion sensor's detection area?

EDIT #2:

The light I am considering using has a PIR motion detector.

Will that be compatible with the camera's infrared night vision?

In the camera motion settings, look for masking. With masking, you can exclude areas from being monitored for motion. Look into your cameras manual for how to do it.

For id purposes at night, some people like to setup or force the camera into daylight only mode and use bright white motion lights or dusk to dawn lighting. Getting id from ir lighting at night is difficult.

I apparently did not explain my question very clearly.

Plus, this question should probably have been in the "General CCTV Discussion" forum, not this one: "Security Cameras - Residential", adding to the confusion.

I apologize for my errors.

My question was not about getting the camera to work properly with the light.

It was about getting the light and it's motion sensor to work properly with the camera.

I am familiar with the cameras and the software.

I understand how they work.

I've been playing with them for almost 3 years now.

They are not perfect, but they could be OK for what I want to do, if the light can be made to work properly with the camera.

If I need to start this over in the correct forum, let me know.

Thanks

it would be simplier if you just used a dusk to dawn light instead of motion sensing light. the light would stay on all night. asking the light and the camera to sense motion at the same time is going to be difficult. You should be able to swap out the motion sensing eye for a dusk to dawn eye.

it would be simplier if you just used a dusk to dawn light instead of motion sensing light. the light would stay on all night. asking the light and the camera to sense motion at the same time is going to be difficult. You should be able to swap out the motion sensing eye for a dusk to dawn eye.

I'm not looking for simplicity.

I'm looking for functionality.

All the surveillance cameras are operational and recording 24 hrs.

The motion sensing function on them is not being used.

I do not want the lights burning all night, but only when something is sensed for a number of reasons.

The main reason being that we have the highest electrical rates in the country.

Even though we have a 4kw PV setup on the roof, and are still grid connected, we still need to conserve our electrical usage.

A separate PIR sensor to control a light and trigger the cameras should work.

If your cameras are 3 years old, you might want to check into starlight/ultra low light cameras, there will be a big difference.