Sign in to follow this  
mrcheap

newbie to security - POE or Wireless?

Hi All, I am new here and would like some advice on what would best work for me.

I recently purchased a shore home and right now I only spend weekends there. I do not have WIFI there as it does not make financial sense based on the minimum use. I have an alarm system there but due to the lack of WIFI it's not tied into a camera system.

I've been doing some research on what's out there. I don't have a ton of real estate to cover and I would maybe only need one or two camera's max. I do like the dome style camera's as I would like to put one underneath the garage door opening as that would be front and center for my house. However if I go wireless, I'm afraid somebody may come up and just unscrew the antenna.

If I go the POE route my vision is to mount the dome camera by the garage door and run the wire directly to the NVR in the garage. If I go the wireless route I am afraid I may not mount them high enough to avoid tampering. Like I said I don't have WIFI so I won't do any live monitoring, just have it as a theft deterrent and to record events while I'm not there in case something does happen, I can review the video.

Thanks in advance!

If your worried about tampering like antenna removal, a can of spray paint is even quicker.

Wifi cameras are ok with one, maybe two, but you still may have interference/dropouts. After someone gets a camera or two, they often decide they will want to add more. In that case, go with poe.I'm sure others will add to this.