Sign in to follow this  
muzzo

Bosch PTZ Autodome Easy - no operation?

Looking for some tips on getting this PTZ camera working - model VEZ-011-HWCS. I am using it with a Pacom DVR which has RS485. I am getting video fine but no PTZ control. The DVR's software has one listing for Bosch - an Autodome - and I have this set to 9600bd, 8 bits, 1 stop bit and no parity - which is the default in the software. Software is set to ID 1 and camera is the same - sw1 on all others off - 9 is on and 0 is off/ biphase switched on..Also sw601/termination set to on - The on-screen controls do not control and function. Now .... I may have made a boo-boo - and hope I have not fried any internals - when first connectiong the biphase wires from the camera to the DVR I had them reversed ... + and - back to front - for just a moment. Yeah I know .... always check and re-check - have been doing electronics for decades and is my number one rule. I guess the black wire on the camera being + and not - threw me and I may have upset an onbaord IC??? Any comments - apart from what a doofus! I got the camera in a deal for three DVR's and the camera for $100 - so not a lot invested - but would still ike to have the PTZ function working on the camera - rather than just mounting it as it is as a still.

Thanks,

Graham

Edited by Guest

Hello. The dip switches will usually define the camera's address. Address 1 is usually set by default. The channel to which the camera is connected to may have to have that address defined as its own number. If you do not have the PTZ camera connected to channel 1, then you may need to set the channel's PTZ address to match the camera's. Other than that, make sure the paired wires are connected the same to the camera and at the DVR.

Hi thanks for the reply gadgetmate - cool avatar name! Yes I have set the camera to address 1 and the software is also set to 1. I did spend some time going through about a dozen addresses / mating up each time out of interest - and yes I have the biphase wires connected correct now - I splipped up and had them reversed when I first connected the camera - but when there was no control I powered off right away and checked this - as it was the only thing that I could see I may have erred in. I'll have another look in a day or so. I guess my main question - to anyone who might service these cameras - is if the biphase wires were reveresed and a command given from the sotware - will any voltages sent to the camera damage the internal electronics - I did look for an onboard fuse etc - but just too many IC's to be possibly zapped.

Thanks again for your suggestions - good!

Hi. You will of had no problem if connected the wrong way ... Very small voltage.

With 1 camera address should be set as

1 on ..... 2 to 7 off ... 8 on .... 9 on.

You might also want to check your dvr setting ..... Some DVRs will only let you use a PTZ on chan 1 or first 4 channels

Also under PTZ setup pic generic instead of bosh.

Thanks for the reply - yes I have the camera set correctly - have downloaded the manual for the camera from Bosch - and have tried it on different addresses - all to no avail ...hmmm Have toggled the termination sw601 to see if I had this wrong also. My understanding is that if only one camera this would be set to ON - wheras if there were a number of PTZ cameras daisy chained only the last one on the chain would have this set to on and all the others to off - which sounds logical Mr Spock! I have tried it on the first four channels as one poster suggested.

I am wondering if there is something amiss with the ptz side of the DVR ....? Are the control signals voltages or data - as I see no voltage change on the 485 when sending ptz commands - I guess they must be data then .... does anyone have any suggestions for momitoring the 485 output?

I am determined to get to the bottom of this bosch ptz now! In the DVR menu for selecting PTZ cameras there is no generic type selection - and the only one for Bosch is Autodome. I did try a dozen or so other makes to see if I could get ANY response from the camera - nahda. I tried all the settings for communication speed and stop bits and parity just out of frustration - but I am sure 9k6, 8 bits and no parity is the correct selection.

I could install the camera as a static one - but such a waste if there is a chance of getting it to respond to control.

If anyone on the forum has one of these recorders sitting around - a Pacom PDRH16 - can you tell me what voltages you see when measuring across the + and - of the 485 line, as well as from each to chassis ground?

Thanks again.

Hi again - and thanks - thought it must be data - but doesn't hurt to ask - imprinted in my brain cells now When first powering up the camera it does its routine of moving about/initialising, and the screen shows the boot info for the camera and address as 01. If I have changed the address on the camera, during my testing, it shows the new address ( and I had set the same in the DVR). I have set it back to 1 (01) and have the same set in the setup on the DVR. I have tried a different power supply in case it was insufficient - but doubt it is this as the motors run good and strong when initialising. Another reply suggested setting the baud rate to 2400 and not 9600 - still no operation. I'll keep plugging away and will take it out of comission and put it on my workbench with short cable runs and a more than ample dc supply. I'll find a free afternoon and go through the various options in the setup. I guess there is a very small chance something is amiss with the camera. In the back of my head is that I initially had the bi-phase wires reveresed - but I have been reassured this will have not caused any harm. Still it is a small mental niggle

Thanks again!