ckeays

IR LEDs blow quickly

Hello everyone,

I have several security cameras around my home. All of them are night vision cameras.

It seems that the LEds in these cameras do not last very long. I have been purchasing a replacement LED board for each camera, however they do not last longer than a few months.

The board replacement is very cheaply made (in China) and tends to blow more easily.

All of the power supplies for each camera are clean, and working.

I have other more expensive cameras where the LED's never blow (not in 10 years)

So I want to ask if anyone knows of a mod to one of these boards. Maybe the current limit resistor is not the correct value?

any help would be appreciated.

Thankyou

I've just completed an 11 digital camera installation with NVR. This replaced an old analog system. All have been working great but last night it appears that one camera is having an IR issue. Early this morning, I went out and took a look at the camera. All the LED's were working but when viewing the output, it's very obvious that there is no LED (IR), pick up. A couple of days ago, night vision was perfect. So my question to you is, are your LED's visible at night? If so then we may have a similar problem. My entire system is under warranty but it is a pain to work through replacement.

Thanks,

Kirk

I've just completed an 11 digital camera installation with NVR. This replaced an old analog system. All have been working great but last night it appears that one camera is having an IR issue. Early this morning, I went out and took a look at the camera. All the LED's were working but when viewing the output, it's very obvious that there is no LED (IR), pick up. A couple of days ago, night vision was perfect. So my question to you is, are your LED's visible at night? If so then we may have a similar problem. My entire system is under warranty but it is a pain to work through replacement.

Thanks,

Kirk

Hi. Yours sounds like a simple problem .........if the IR is on at night but you can't see in playback then that sounds like a stuck cut filter.......

Also check the camera settings to see if night mode is switched to auto ...... If camera is told to stay in colour then again even tho IR is on at night colour will not see IR

Hello everyone,

I have several security cameras around my home. All of them are night vision cameras.

It seems that the LEds in these cameras do not last very long. I have been purchasing a replacement LED board for each camera, however they do not last longer than a few months.

The board replacement is very cheaply made (in China) and tends to blow more easily.

All of the power supplies for each camera are clean, and working.

I have other more expensive cameras where the LED's never blow (not in 10 years)

So I want to ask if anyone knows of a mod to one of these boards. Maybe the current limit resistor is not the correct value?

any help would be appreciated.

Thankyou

stop buying crap cameras

only some of the led's are blown.

the cameras are not crap, the replacement LED boards are crap.

I thought there may be a protection diode or some other mod to add to the board

to prolong the life of the LED's.

Anyone?

Yes they are, since you said "It seems that the LEds in these cameras do not last very long".

They are crap like the IR boards you buy.

If you want them to last longer, do not buy crap.

Why not put up external IR lighting instead? CMVision makes affordable IR lighting.

If your cameras are 10 years old, you might be surprised by the video improvement in new cameras, even the cheap ones.

only some of the led's are blown.

I thought there may be a protection diode or some other mod to add to the board

to prolong the life of the LED's.

Anyone?

if the cameras were not crap you would not have to replace the led boards in the first place...stop buying junk...even if you earn minimum wage your time is not worth it.

Well the LED's didn't blow for 5 years, now they are always going within a few months.

How long should the led's last in a good camera running 24/7/365?

Any links as to where I would buy a good camera?

Interesting turn of events. The IR sensor came back to life and is working fine. The camera's I use don't use a cut filter but do use an IR sensor. Obviously I'll continue to monitor but at this point, everything is working great. By the way after considerable due diligence I found a company that I'm very happy with. They are CCTV Camera Pros https://www.cctvsecuritypros.com/ With exception of two dome cameras I use model CSP-1PB4. With other homes I've owned and camera systems I've installed I've never had a problem with LED's

Interesting turn of events. The IR sensor came back to life and is working fine. The camera's I use don't use a cut filter but do use an IR sensor. Obviously I'll continue to monitor but at this point, everything is working great. By the way after considerable due diligence I found a company that I'm very happy with. They are CCTV Camera Pros https://www.cctvsecuritypros.com/ With exception of two dome cameras I use model CSP-1PB4. With other homes I've owned and camera systems I've installed I've never had a problem with LED's

to bad you got suckered by that crap...next time do some research.

OK I can see that you are far more knowledgeable than me. I'd appreciate your recommendations!

If you're using a power supply for multiple cams, get rid of it and get a power supply for each. They're cheap enough. A cam with a long power supply wire run will wreak havoc on other cams and burn out led boards and even cameras.

If you're using a power supply for multiple cams, get rid of it and get a power supply for each. They're cheap enough. A cam with a long power supply wire run will wreak havoc on other cams and burn out led boards and even cameras.

how about elaborating on these claims

Firstly, because I ran into that problem. Secondly, I've been an Industrial electronics technician for the last 38 years. An extremely long voltage run has a higher resistance. It requires more current. If the IR cut shuts off on that cam, it causes a surge and will take out led's, cut filter coils, etc on the other cameras. Matter of fact, I put a power supply big enough to power 4 cams 2 weeks ago. It wasn't long before it burned out 2 ir cut coils and 2 led boards on the cams that were closest to the power supply. Then it dawned on me what was happening. I put a separate power supply on each cam and the problem is now gone.

i have separate power supplies on all cameras, crappy cameras are blowing led's rapidly.

the replacement LED boards I get from China are worse, and the LED's last about 3 months until they are all blown.

Originally I asked if there was some kind of protection circuit i could add on the board but I haven't received a response yet.

Firstly, because I ran into that problem. Secondly, I've been an Industrial electronics technician for the last 38 years. An extremely long voltage run has a higher resistance. It requires more current. If the IR cut shuts off on that cam, it causes a surge and will take out led's, cut filter coils, etc on the other cameras. Matter of fact, I put a power supply big enough to power 4 cams 2 weeks ago. It wasn't long before it burned out 2 ir cut coils and 2 led boards on the cams that were closest to the power supply. Then it dawned on me what was happening. I put a separate power supply on each cam and the problem is now gone.

Without getting into a p!ssing contest about qualifications , I have a few issues with what you have said. I'll take them point by point.

* " an extremely long voltage run has a higher resistance" and hence a higher voltage drop over the length of the cable. This results in under voltage at the load (camera). This will not (in itself) cause any damage to the camera or leds.

* " it requires more current " There are only two ways to increase current to the load (camera). You can either decrease the load seen by the power supply or you can increase the voltage presented to the load. Power supply current is not something you simply turn up or down.

* " it causes a surge ". What are we talking about here? A momentary increase in current caused by a sudden decrease in load which will in turn cause a increase in voltage drop over the length of the power feed.

The problems you describe would only ever present themselves if you used a SINGLE power feed supplying all cameras in a daisy-chain configuration AND used an UNREGULATED power supply. This is something that I would hope no industrial electronics technician would ever comtemplate doing.