Rossman

Stop me from buying the Q-see 16 channel 900TVL system

I'm considering ordering Item #834362 Q-see 16 channel 960H 2TB system w/ 16 900TVL cameras delivered for less than $900. This would be for my personal residence. The few reviews seem to be mixed. I don't need 16 cameras right now, but eventually I do have plans for 16 cameras. There is not a local place to see what a 960H 900TVL camera looks like. Also, do you think the 1080 cameras are much better than 900TVL 960H and the 1080 cameras may drop in price considerably before the end of the year?

I also see that Lorex has a 16 channel system w/ 12 900TVL cameras and a 12x PTZ for around $1,100 delivered. Would this be a better system than the Q-see? Some of the Lorex reviews also seem to be mixed. I do intend on adding at least one PTZ, but I would like it to have night vision. The 12x PTZ w/ the Lorex system does not have night vision. I would also like the unit to have at least one if not two or more audio inputs for a microphone. The Q-see system has four inputs.

I could get by w/ a 16 channel unit starting w/ 8 bullet cameras and one PTZ. I would later add more cameras. Are there other options comparatively priced or better quality for slightly more? My budget limit is $1,500 for the system w/o installation. However, I could keep the price under $1,200 w/ the Q-see system and an IR PTZ 10x camera from ebay. The lack of reviews of the Q-see system makes me want to wait a few months until I read more reviews. I imagine the price of this system will continue to go down so there is no need to jump on it now. If 3-4 of the cameras don't work and I need to return them, no big deal....I don't need all 16 for the initial hookup and can wait for the returns. Anyone saw this Q-see system in action? Any comments? TIA.

You're not going to find 16 channel 1080p systems in your price range easily. Keep an eye on costco- they have specials come up every so often and it could be that a 16 channel nvr with 8 cameras could pop up around your price range. That would get you started nicely. If you took the few months and put together a 2k budget, you'd have more options for NVR systems for sure, and that is really the better way to go when you're installing a new system. If you just want to get a decent system in place and not get too heavy into it and you have to stick to that budget, the q-see package you mention probably wouldn't be bad. I would suggest you forego the ptz cameras unless you have well lighted exteriors. Just get a package with 16 bullets or domes or a combo of each. Install the system and start monitoring. If that's all you want to spend and a 960H package falls within the budget, rock and roll. Personally I'd choose q-see over lorex but that's because I've had q-see before and they are okay. RMA defective items can be tedious and take some turn around time, but it looks like you can deal with that in case it happens. Good luck.

Thanks Shockwave. I went ahead and ordered it from Costco. $890 delivered. I think it will meet my needs.