cctvwatch

Neighbor protests cameras

Hello, I am new to this forum and would like to get input on some camera/neighbor issues.

First, let me say that my having cameras on my home are legal, and have been in operation long before a new neighbor has moved in. All of the other neighbors have been ok with the camera setup. It points off the front of my home (under eaves) and points toward the street showing my driveway.

Recently we had a new neighbor move in and immediately start protesting around the neighborhood about the camera "watching them". They never brought it to my attention directly, but rather through someone else. Out of respect for my neighbor, I removed that camera.

To make a long story short, I need to install something more covert that they won't pay attention to. I thought about installing a camera in a bird house, but the IR LED's glow red and thy can see them.

I have offered to show them that my camera can not see their home, but they refuse to look at it. The reason for their suspicion is likely due to the amount of traffic coming and going from their home day and night. Our local police officer has asked me to put the camera back online.

If someone has a suggestion, please let me know. I can't use anything wireless that they can pick up with a baby monitor or other receiver.

You are perfectly OK as long as no camera sees into the neighbor's property. If the police are asking you to put it back online, they must have some suspicion about the neighbor. The constant traffic you mention suggests a drug operation.

Survtech,

Thanks for the reply.. yes, we have had a noticeable increase in traffic and we know something isn't normal. My cameras do not show what goes on at their property. I made sure it isn't in view, plus it's a 3.6mm lens. You wouldn't make anything out on it anything that far away.

I'm hoping to put something back up that they won't notice. I hate to get that whole argument going again, but I will protect my property from crime to my best ability.

You don't need IR for good performance. The CNB 24VF series cameras do well with ambient light.

That would be the day I bowed down to a NEW neighbor. Especially one who is either conducting illegal activity, or a legal business but improperly zoned for it. I'd put the original camera back up and if they have anything to say to YOU, tell them that you checked with the local police and they said not only was it ok, but they prefer cameras on residential and let them know if there is any problems. That will back off the morons. Anything they have to say behind your back, ignore.

I'd put the original camera back up and if they have anything to say to YOU, tell them that you checked with the local police and they said not only was it ok, but they prefer cameras on residential and let them know if there is any problems. That will back off the morons. Anything they have to say behind your back, ignore.

Better yet, tell them if they have a problem with your cameras, they're welcome to file a complaint... with the police.

You don't need IR for good performance. The CNB 24VF series cameras do well with ambient light.

Seconded. IR is the hallmark of a low-grade camera that NEEDS the extra illumination. These are low-profile domes with smoked plastic bubbles, so they're unobtrusive, and it's difficult to see where they're pointing.

Man, what a hassle. Would not be surprised if they are up to something...

My neighbors like me having a camera. I send them videos of people checking for unlocked car doors in the wee hours...now one of the neighbors is asking what it takes to get a system like mine.

Some pinhole cameras see well with low light, KTC has one B&W that is pretty good. Good at close range anyway, and for overview.

I'm thinking I can mount one on or in a security light (motion sensing security light). I just need to find a small "lipstick" or similar camera.

Hello, I am new to this forum and would like to get input on some camera/neighbor issues.

First, let me say that my having cameras on my home are legal, and have been in operation long before a new neighbor has moved in. All of the other neighbors have been ok with the camera setup. It points off the front of my home (under eaves) and points toward the street showing my driveway.

Recently we had a new neighbor move in and immediately start protesting around the neighborhood about the camera "watching them". They never brought it to my attention directly, but rather through someone else. Out of respect for my neighbor, I removed that camera.

To make a long story short, I need to install something more covert that they won't pay attention to. I thought about installing a camera in a bird house, but the IR LED's glow red and thy can see them.

I have offered to show them that my camera can not see their home, but they refuse to look at it. The reason for their suspicion is likely due to the amount of traffic coming and going from their home day and night. Our local police officer has asked me to put the camera back online.

If someone has a suggestion, please let me know. I can't use anything wireless that they can pick up with a baby monitor or other receiver.

IMO if it's:

1) Legal

2) Filming only your property and the road (this falls under 1)

3) A cop has even recommended you put it back

you should put it back!

I believe that "hiding" this from a neighbor who doesn't want it there is worse for you than having it visible, even if it makes them uncomfortable. The fact your neighbor has no interest in seeing how much of their house is even being seen is ridiculous. You could if you were REALLY feeling neighborly put up a feed and give them access. If they still hate it, well too bad for them I guess.

Now, you could also put a shield in front of the camera such that they are ensured there is no way you're filming their house. They'd be able to see that a cover literally blocks them from view.

I am about to set up a camera pointing down my driveway onto the street. On the one hand I don't want to advertise its existence to neighbors because I know it can be weird for them. On the other, within the last year we've had some strange activity in the 'hood that is posted about on Facebook and I believe most neighbors would really appreciate a high quality image of the vehicle.

It's perfectly within your rights to monitor your property, even if some cameras may be pointing to your neighbor's house.

Check to see if the problem camera has privacy masking function so that you can block out your neighbor's residence.

If he sues you for invasion of privacy, all you need to do is take a snapshot of that camera and show the court that you are not invading his privacy rights.

It's perfectly within your rights to monitor your property, even if some cameras may be pointing to your neighbor's house.

Just wondering what laws specifically guarantee your rights to monitor your property.

Just wondering what laws specifically guarantee your rights to monitor your property.

Probably along the same lines as our second constitution lol.

Probably along the same lines as our second constitution lol.

Good point. I've tried to find anything for VA, and there appears to be no laws at all...

While protecting your property, I think you're all set as long as you're not actively watching other people's property. I'm sure the original poster's neighbor will realize the benefit of the surveillance rather than being annoyed by it. Anyways, I agree with you that there is no clear law for it.

There are some but they can be tricky to find at times. If you're looking for a virginia.gov type link that clearly outlines what you can do I don't think you'll find it. Instead, you can find specific laws against behavior and legal precedent. It's all tricky, and this is why we have so many lawyers.

I've googled this a good bit and my essential understanding is that video and audio have different laws. Audio is much stricter. I don't think it's clear that you can set up a microphone even on your front step, since it can record people's conversations elsewhere. Video however you should be able to record ALL of your property, external and out. A huge exception to this is where people have a reasonable expectation of privacy, e.g. a bathroom: you cannot have a hidden camera over recording your visitors in the bathroom.

It also appears, though with less certainty, that you can record a public space. Obvious exceptions would be setting up a camera in front of the white house, but recording a public road next to your house as part of your frame should be fine.

You can search for, and ask for free, legal questions of bonafide attorneys here: http://www.avvo.com/free-legal-advice They have a lot of questions in there on surveillance cameras.

Finally, you asked for Virginia. Here you go:

http://piava.wordpress.com/2008/04/27/surveillance-photos-privacy-what-is-the-law/

Also http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-386.1

The summary gist I glean from what I've read is that as long as a person isn't being a buffoon, they can set up a camera to their heart's content on their own property. If your neighbor's house is in-frame I think you want to black out any area that's pointing into a door or window. It's obviously not kosher to be zomming in through their living room window.

There are some but they can be tricky to find at times. If you're looking for a virginia.gov type link that clearly outlines what you can do I don't think you'll find it. Instead, you can find specific laws against behavior and legal precedent. It's all tricky, and this is why we have so many lawyers.

I've googled this a good bit and my essential understanding is that video and audio have different laws. Audio is much stricter. I don't think it's clear that you can set up a microphone even on your front step, since it can record people's conversations elsewhere. Video however you should be able to record ALL of your property, external and out. A huge exception to this is where people have a reasonable expectation of privacy, e.g. a bathroom: you cannot have a hidden camera over recording your visitors in the bathroom.

It also appears, though with less certainty, that you can record a public space. Obvious exceptions would be setting up a camera in front of the white house, but recording a public road next to your house as part of your frame should be fine.

You can search for, and ask for free, legal questions of bonafide attorneys here: http://www.avvo.com/free-legal-advice They have a lot of questions in there on surveillance cameras.

Finally, you asked for Virginia. Here you go:

http://piava.wordpress.com/2008/04/27/surveillance-photos-privacy-what-is-the-law/

Also http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-386.1

The summary gist I glean from what I've read is that as long as a person isn't being a buffoon, they can set up a camera to their heart's content on their own property. If your neighbor's house is in-frame I think you want to black out any area that's pointing into a door or window. It's obviously not kosher to be zomming in through their living room window.

Some good points Digiscan, I've seen similar links, but my issue is HOA's. Remember the whole dish thing? There was no laws stating you couldn't install a dish. HOAs forced people to remove them. Now there is a law that explicitly states you can mount a dish on your property. As thing stand now with cameras, I believe you are on shaky ground, your HOA can come by and say that your cameras are not to their liking.

If that day comes for me, my plan is to explain myself and offer to show them what the cams can see, which is only my property and part of the street. If they pull the architectural guidelines on me, I'm going to tell them, I'll remove the visible cameras and install cameras that can't be seen.

Put them back up!

The Only reason they dont want them if because they are doing something they know they shouldnt. Maybe it will cause them to move. Which would be good for you.

If I was you I would install a commercial box camera and enclosure.

After installing mine I realized a street light 80ft and 200ft away was enough to light up my yard and no need for IR.

Neighbors will come to you when their house is broken into

or car and ask if your cameras caught anything.

I've already had to show the cops my system when someone

took something from my yard, They were surprised and said they

wish every house had a system.

PS: I'm in a Historical Society Zoning and no ones mentioned

anything to me. It's amazing how people don't notice my commerical box and enclosure. Even family members after many

visits.... It's right on the corner of the house...

It seems they are doing something, as they are scared of Cameras that are even not LOOKING at them property. It's best to put your camera back, as it's for your safety.

I have one pointing each way up the alley that covers the rear drives of 4 neighbors on each side... Nobody has said anything about it. And the day they do is the day I tell them to get bent. Ive had my boat taken from there, and the truck broken into... My neighbors are all old anyways and Im sure they wont mind.

If your neighbor is upset, its because hes selling drugs or something else illegal. I would leave the camera up cause you know the local PD is going to come knocking someday with a warrant for some footage.

Look out for number 1.

You offered to show them what the cameras see, you did your job. In most jurisdiction you are allowed to do this (I know one city made them illegal because the Hells Angels built a bunker with CCTV all around; anyways the Court decided they could keep them as they were installed before the bylaw was passed...!)

I just installed a system and one neighbour noticed and was very excited about this, I think they are considering it since there were a few break-ins on the street a few weeks ago. I can only see a very small portion of one neighbour's backyard and I will print a picture and show him, and if he minds tell him that I can block his backyard (he has a pool there). I think it is important to be transparent with your neighbours and cooperate, however, they must also respect your rights to watch over your own property.

Don't forget guys, your neighbour is not the annoying guy at the red light, or in line at Home Depot; he'll still be your neighbour in 5 minutes or for many years. A good relationship is extremely important, especially if they see something they can call the cops, your DVR won't do it for you!

Also keep in mind that people from other countries can be scared of these types of systems if they once lived in a country with limited rights (former USSR, Cuba, China, etc.) and it might make them uncomfortable. Discussion is always the key.

But that specific case, you probably got one of those pain in the butt type of guy so do what's best for you and within everyone's rights.

I'm putting in 2 1080p ptz IP domes outside when i get around to it, hope no one tells me to remove it because it improves the security in our semi gates community, i wished everyone would put up cameras, definitely deters crime.