Hard drive format type

When formatting a hard drive for a dvr what type of format do you use, the DVR is not recognising the hard drive and I read up on the Internet try formatting it??? It's a western digital 1.5tb WD AV-GP

When formatting a hard drive for a dvr what type of format do you use, the DVR is not recognising the hard drive and I read up on the Internet try formatting it??? It's a western digital 1.5tb WD AV-GP

most DVRs will format on first HD install ....... and if your using a secondhand drive format at fat32 then install into dvr and it should run a farmat itself again.

Good point "tomcctv". What about the "jumper" position on the HD?

There is no jumper on SATA HDs, and being a WD AV-GP 1.5Tb HD it is surely SATA. Master/slave jumpers are only for IDE (ATA) HDs.

Should have been more specific on the "jumper". I was referring to the "speed" jumper on some drives. Set too fast, the HD may not be recognized.

Thank you all for the replies, yes it's a sata HD, the dvr is from china, one of them which has no make or model. It doesn't recognise it at all even when I disconnect and then reconnect it, the HD is not faulty as it has done this once before with a previous HD, it stops recognising the HD after a 6-12 months of use

Just one thing. I had a dvr do something very similar to this once. The DVR was set to "not overwrite". It would record just fine until the HD filled up, then stopped. After that, it would no longer record or allow viewing remotely. I did get it to format, then set to "overwrite" and it worked fine after that. Just a thought.

Good point "tomcctv". What about the "jumper" position on the HD?

There is no jumper on SATA HDs, and being a WD AV-GP 1.5Tb HD it is surely SATA. Master/slave jumpers are only for IDE (ATA) HDs.

right " title="Applause" />

Still being misunderstood on the sata jumper on some sata drives,,,,,I guess. Here is directly from a HD OEM:

Some SATA drivers have jumpers for extra features, or for troubleshooting.

Example from the manual of a SATA disk:

Set the Jumpers:

The default setting for some SATA hard drives varies depending on the model. To determine the default setting for your drive, look at the drive label on the top of the drive.

DO NOT change the default setting if you intend to use the drive in a desktop computer.

Change the jumper settings ONLY if you intend to use the drive in an enterprise storage environment.

Some of WD have 4 pins.

An example of Seagate,,,,,

On a Seagate ST3500320AS, there are four pins in the jumper block. You put a jumper between two of them to limit the drive to 1.5Gb/s instead of 3Gb/s, as explained in the manual.

The other two pins (plus the nearest of the pair of pins used to limit the drive speed, which is a ground) make a serial port, which talks directly to the drive firmware!

Dennis

i removed the HDD to back up the video footages on .dat because the backup using ex hdd was taking very long... after backing up, i tried connecting back but the dvr formatting stops at 8% and restarts the dvr automatically. kindly advise the file format required to format the hdd before installing back or other info required for a successful usage.