Sign in to follow this  
NEVETS22002

do I have a port forward issue or hardware fault?

Hi everyone.

I have a avtech kpd674b, connected at home via a net work cable to a virgin media superhub 2. If I use the eagle eyes app on my iphone I can see my cameras, play back do everything. If i use the internal ip addrees via IE or the software that came with the dvr kit, I can also do everything. If I cmd prompt from a wire less lap top I get a perfect re-action. all of this over the local wifi using the 192.168.0.200 ip.

my problem comes when I try and view the cameras/dvr remotely. I followed the hubs port forwarding instructions and set the dvr up as instructed but i just cant get it to work. This using my isp ip not the 192.168.0.200 ip.

If I do a port check it times out or says its closed.

It worked perfectly for about three months then one day just stopped. Iv tried a firmware update and replaced the super hub, but it still has no affect.

Any ideas?

I know it sound horrid but I hope someone has had the same problem and can help me fix it.

Kind regards, Steve

Hi,

yes the ip from my isp has not changed and neither has the ip used internally on the local network.

my dvr is on 192.168.0.200 and my isp ip is 81.108.35.16 port 80.

The dvr can be seen and all works via the 192 ip via wifi or lan.

iv set the Port Forwarding Rules

Name Port Range Protocol IP Address

dvr 80 TCP&UDP 192.168.0.200

i also set the DHCP rules as

Device Name MAC Address IP Address Expires

DVR 00:0e:53:1e:4e:1e 192.168.0.200 Reserved

if I ping 192.168.0.200 it sends and receives information perfect 100%.

if I use a web based port checker for 81.108.35.16:80 it either says its closed or it cant see any connection, times out.

I simply don't understand why i cant see the DVR any more via the port forward, none of the settings have been changed.

I still see it in the house but not outside, it all worked fine.

I am guessing is this a Virgin Media connection and a superhub?

If you are a Virgin Media subscriber, you have a DYNAMIC IP regardless that it's worked for 6 months.

They change quite infrequently if you are a domestic subscriber and only VM business account have a ststic IP available.

Try checking your ports using http://yougetsignal.com note the IP address if you get open result, check the IP address is the one you've quoted if not, it's DYNAMIC

Hello thank you for helping.

I do have a virgin media connection and it is a super hub 2.

The dynamic ip? has not changed in over five years, and although they do say it could change any time, it rarely does.

I followed the link as you suggested http://yougetsignal.com and double checked the ip address as being the same. I carried out a scan on all common ports and it came back saying they are all closed.

So what can I do now?

Iv spoken to virgin media support who admit to having no idea why it does not work.

So where do I go from here?

Thanks again, Steve

update.

the virgin media super hub 2 allows you to enable remote access of the hub by opening a port. The port is normally 8443. Thinking this was an open port I carried out the following test.

the dvr was on 192.168.0.200 port 80 so i changed it to port 8443.

I then disabled remote access, thinking the port 8443 being open would then direct to the dvr.

This failed.

When I then went back to re-enable remote access it wouldn't allow port 8443 so I used port 80.

I then went back to the open port checker and checked the dynamic ip and port 80 and it came back as open.

the first full test came back with all common ports closed.

The result is that what ever port I set as the remote access port, returns as opened, but what ever port I use for forwarding to the dvr remains closed.

or is it a problem such as the port cant be seen as open because somethings wrong with the dvr signal?

1 switch off PnP in hub

2 reserve the lanIP of the DVR

3 open the ports including port 80 and allocate then as both UDP and TCP

4Ensure they are enabled and pointed to your IP and apply

Switch PnP on in the hub. restart hub check ports

Thats it for tonight I an turning in now

If you have no luck tell us what your DVR ports are and what brand it is.

Hi every one, thank you for the offers of help and the advice so far.

A small up date as the problem still hasn't been solved.

I had virgin out who found a brake in my cable outside the house meaning my signal was week and that's now been repaired.

I have redone all the port forwarding as I understand it (very limited knowledge) turned on DMZ? plus some other setting on the superhub2 but it still does not work on 3g via port forward.

My DVR came from maplin its a N08JU DVR, i belive made by AVtech and called a KPD674.

desperately pulling my hair out now.

Just cant understand why it worked for such a long time and now just stopped.

Hi every one, thank you for the offers of help and the advice so far.

A small up date as the problem still hasn't been solved.

I had virgin out who found a brake in my cable outside the house meaning my signal was week and that's now been repaired.

I have redone all the port forwarding as I understand it (very limited knowledge) turned on DMZ? plus some other setting on the superhub2 but it still does not work on 3g via port forward.

My DVR came from maplin its a N08JU DVR, i belive made by AVtech and called a KPD674.

desperately pulling my hair out now.

Just cant understand why it worked for such a long time and now just stopped.

i have the same problem all i can think is its a security update that virgin have done but they dont seem to know how to get round it all they said to me was to put the superhub on modem mode and get a new router