QC444

DVR Software - What sucks...what's pretty good?

Not looking to get a DVR for M&M's palace.

Just need a LOW cost 8 Channel system for my cheap home.

Just wondering what software on the cheaper systems is "ok" and what really sucks.

It's hard to tell because most wont show you any previews of the screens these days.

Thanks

Are you going to be mainly accessing the DVR on the computer or smart phone? Your local installer should be able to show you a demo of the software or app they are using. Most of the time you can just call them and they can walk you through setting up the demo without even meeting up.

Are you going to be mainly accessing the DVR on the computer or smart phone? Your local installer should be able to show you a demo of the software or app they are using. Most of the time you can just call them and they can walk you through setting up the demo without even meeting up.

I'm just replacing an already existing DVR and want to find one with lots of features.

I'm mostly interested in the configuration software for viewing on a PC

For example, I prefer software that lets me configure a DAY TIME color configuration (brightness, contrast etc) separately from the NIGHT TIME color configuration. Small things like this make a BIG difference.

For example, the software that comes on NightOwl sucks.

If you need very specific features on the software, you can probably look into the Milestone software. https://www.milestonesys.com/where-to-buy/milestone-resellers/

I'm not expert on this software, but I think they only work with IP cameras. They have a lot of features you can play with. Check out their support page: https://www.milestonesys.com/support/. You can see what features they have through their quick guides and tutorials.

I believe they have a free trial so you can download it to your PC and play with it. https://www.milestonesys.com/our-products/xprotect-free-trial-download/

If you need very specific features on the software, you can probably look into the Milestone software. https://www.milestonesys.com/where-to-buy/milestone-resellers/

I'm not expert on this software, but I think they only work with IP cameras. They have a lot of features you can play with. Check out their support page: https://www.milestonesys.com/support/. You can see what features they have through their quick guides and tutorials.

I believe they have a free trial so you can download it to your PC and play with it. https://www.milestonesys.com/our-products/xprotect-free-trial-download/

Thanks Judy.

Seems there are very few responses to posts here anymore so I do appreciate it

You're welcome. You can send me a PM anytime if you need additional help. I've been in this industry for a long time and if I don't know the answer, I can usually find out through my network.

For example, I prefer software that lets me configure a DAY TIME color configuration (brightness, contrast etc) separately from the NIGHT TIME color configuration. Small things like this make a BIG difference.

You'll need to explore cameras that allow you to schedule the switching schedule between color/blackwhite. Not so much of the DVR.

Some IP Cameras allow you to do that, e.g. HIKVISION IP Cameras with IR.

For analogue, mostly can't unless you going for higher end range of cameras which doesn't make sense as the price range would be more ex than the IP Cameras that can do this.

However, doing schedule switching means that the cameras will NOT switch to b/w mode to compensate for lower lighting during overcast or dark raining day.

I'm just replacing an already existing DVR and want to find one with lots of features.

Hi. Dahua allows you to do that

Each camera can be set to day or night ... Auto light adjust

Thanks!

Yes, I recall a long time ago someone saying that now that you mention it.

Do all Dahua based DVRs have the same software?

They are bit more pricey but I will spend the extra money if that's what it takes to get the features I need.

Do you mean their Dahua IP Cameras system or their HD-CVI DVR w/HD-CVI Cameras ?

I can't seems to find the settings you referred to that allow for scheduled switching of the IR light for Day/Night settings in Dahua HD-CVI DVR with CVI cameras.

If it is just the scheduled color setting on the DVR side for camera color adjustment, then quite a number of DVR do support this function.

See attached screenshot for Dahua and HIKVISION DVR.

Unless the DVR is controlling the settings at the camera, it'll be almost like doing "enhancement" from the source, rather than "enhancement" at the source.

Like photoshop the image after the shot had been taken instead of adjusting the camera to take better shot.

Not too sure if the Dahua's Setting's adjusting the cameras' inbuilt setting or just adding enhancement. Forgot to try if the setting works with normal non-cvi cameras. Will try to test it out next week when i get back to office.

When at night, the IR light is on for the Analogue HD Cameras, the IR light will wash away most of/all the color unless you are able to control the IR light on/off through a schedule available on some IP Cameras. Setting the scheduled color settings are not going to bring the color back when the camera switch to IR mode during low lighting.

See attached screenshot for HIKVISION IP Camera's Scheduled IR Light settings.

However, fixing the schedule means that if during a dark overcast/rainy day or early sunset/late sunrise, you may end up with less than optimum lighting.

We normally use the scheduled IR Light setting/disabled the IR light for timelapse photos with slow shutter speed at night.

Another project that we disable it is when we require color rendition of the images and white LED light are installed to illuminate the area of interest and IR lights are disable to prevent the camera from switching to IR mode.

Most of the better cameras will switch between IR/Normal and auto adjust the color/brightness during daytime and night time. WDR functions are also available on some that allows better lighting rendering for both bright and dark areas in the cameras view.

TS might want to invest in a better camera (some comes with OSD for more fine tuning) instead of tweaking the DVR's scheduled color adjustment unless the cameras are installed in location where schedules are fixed. e.g. indoor where lights are on/off at certain schedule. Otherwise when the cameras compensate, you might end up with a too dark or too bright images.

But that's my opinion based on equipment/situations I encountered. Maybe there are situations and equipment where this settings makes a lot of differences.

DahuaTVMenu.thumb.jpg.37c19720f0ff0f2f1e72beb3699d7cd9.jpg

HIKVISION-TVMenu.thumb.jpg.cd033c7b58d31fd93349fad60d230f4e.jpg

HIKIP-DayNightAutoSwitch.png.84bc7241ac80d28f6d1a3e827f361e27.png

Excellent post.

Yes, I was referring to the DVR cameras. Not IP cameras.

I think my cameras are too inexpensive to have internal adjustments. It's all done post image at the DVR I think.

But on my QC444, it has these functions so that I can set the brightness, contrast, hue, saturation at one level for daytime and another for nighttime on a schedule. That functionality suits my needs.

Excellent post.

Yes, I was referring to the DVR cameras. Not IP cameras.

I think my cameras are too inexpensive to have internal adjustments. It's all done post image at the DVR I think.

But on my QC444, it has these functions so that I can set the brightness, contrast, hue, saturation at one level for daytime and another for nighttime on a schedule. That functionality suits my needs.

Hi the qc444 is a dahua and was running 2013-14 software.

All the same functions you are used to are still there but as you said will not have any control of your cameras settings .

But if your upgrading your recorder then it's the hybrid dahua .... Gives you the option to add cvi or IP later on.

Even just changing some main cameras to cvi or IP will give you more camera control. Like IR brightness and focus control

Even just changing some main cameras to cvi or IP will give you more camera control. Like IR brightness and focus control

Hmm... let me explore that. That's the test set we have for Dahua. Both Dahua's DVR and Dahua's CVI cameras. Can't find any control for IR control.

But as long as you can't switch off the IR, it'll switch to IR and go b/w. Think it have a mechanical IR filter, need to double check for that.

Hmm... let me explore that. That's the test set we have for Dahua. Both Dahua's DVR and Dahua's CVI cameras. Can't find any control for IR control.

But as long as you can't switch off the IR, it'll switch to IR and go b/w. Think it have a mechanical IR filter, need to double check for that.

You can explore all you want ..... I have them here . The picture link you have for dahua is 2014

Feb 2016 it has a split screen for schedule also a new on camera select a direct link to camera .

If it does not do it ..... I would not say it could

You can explore all you want ..... I have them here . The picture link you have for dahua is 2014

Feb 2016 it has a split screen for schedule also a new on camera select a direct link to camera .

If it does not do it ..... I would not say it could

I see, no wonder the local distributor gave us a free test set.

Outdated model.

Fast Forward 2017

I just bought one of their systems and the software crashes over and over - unusable - their brilliant technical support said to download the latest (it was the same version) - when I pointed that out, he said the one he suggested had patches (then why was it the same version>?) - and you guessed it - still crashes

worthless!!

Edit -

let me add this - when I submitted a less that flattering review (was totally honest) on their website - their moderator declined to publish it because it did not meet their guidelines

this way the general public is shielded from a negative review - kinda like N Korea - you only see what they want you to see