sirram

How to connect a wireless CCTV camera that's too far away

I have a Swann CCTV home system (two wireless cameras + NVR). It works fine. I now want to add a third camera at the other end of the house - but it's too far away for the NVR to pick up.

Can one buy wireless booster gadgets (I've no idea of the correct terminology)? The idea would be to position the gadget somewhere in the house, to sit between the third camera and the existing NVR. The third camera would connect wirelessly with the 'gadget' which in turn would relay the signal to the NVR.

Are there such gadgets?

Yes, they are called WIFI Extender, generally available online at many stores.
Thanks. I will pay a visit to my local Maplins store.

A Wifi extender, Wifi repeater or an Access Point will do it. Even some routers can act as signal repeaters. Anything that can extend a wireless network as these are IP cameras

Now there's a thought. I've got a spare Wireless N router in a draw somewhere.

On the other hand, my two existing cameras are talking wirelessly direct to my NVR (which has its own hard disk). As far as I am aware (and just showing my ignorance here), the cameras are not in direct wireless contact with my present wireless router - or are they?

I raise this point as, if the two existing cameras are only talking to the NVR, then adding a second wireless router (or access point etc) won't help - will it? The problem will remain that my new camera no. 3 will still be too far away from the NVR - which is what it needs to communicate with.

Hi. Maplins always miss sell you don't have a NVR it is a wireless dvr .... Coded to camera and dvr

It does not use internet protocol.

It is either return and get something better or if you can move the dvr to a more central point in your house

Mine is in fact an NVR. It has its own IP address on my home network. The two cameras talk to it wirelessly and it records any movement on an in-built hard disk.

The NVR is connected to my router by Ethernet cable. I've got "SwannView Link" software on my PC. When I fire it up, the login screen showing all the devices it can detect. In my case of course, there is just the one. SwannVIew Link displays the device to me as follows:

Device No. = 1

Device Name = NVR

IP Address = 192.168.0.4

Media Port = 9000

I can view up to four cameras at once with the SwannView Link software.

In a nutshell, I'm pretty happy with the way I have set it up. I'm just trying to find out how to get a third camera running when it is too far away from the NVR.

Mine is in fact an NVR. It has its own IP address on my home network. The two cameras talk to it wirelessly and it records any movement on an in-built hard disk.

The NVR is connected to my router by Ethernet cable. I've got "SwannView Link" software on my PC. When I fire it up, the login screen showing all the devices it can detect. In my case of course, there is just the one. SwannVIew Link displays the device to me as follows:

Device No. = 1

Device Name = NVR

IP Address = 192.168.0.4

Media Port = 9000

I can view up to four cameras at once with the SwannView Link software.

In a nutshell, I'm pretty happy with the way I have set it up. I'm just trying to find out how to get a third camera running when it is too far away from the NVR.

Like I said on my first post maplins miss sell.

Any dvr or NVR will show network settings if connected to your network

Do not get wireless mixed up with wifi

If you say you have a NVR then post a screen shot of the NVR menu that shows your cameras that are connected now ?

If you say your cameras are IP then do a wifi scan they will show up

Smart view also allows you to connect direct to cameras without NVR. ...... Can you do that with your app

Mine is a Swann NVR. The sticky label on the device says NVR. The instruction leaflet says NVR and the login screen says NVR. So, it's definitely an NVR (see screenshot below).

I can see the NVR's IP address (e.g. when logging into my router) but not the cameras - which means I have an NVR with two wireless cameras, but neither of them is IP.

Which takes me back to my original question, which is how to connect a third camera that is too far away for the NVR to detect.

Image1.thumb.jpg.556be9fdb4e1e5b270f430902efb36e1.jpg

Wow ...... All recorders will show like that when connected to a network be it a NVR or dvr

What I asked for you to do is show your Swann NVR camera page

All IP cameras need a IP address either over the network or on NVR internal settings

Also like I said with the app you have listed (which does analog and NVR) you should be able to pic up the cameras WIFI . DOES YOURS DO THAT .??

Your screen shot is only of your settings for dvr on local network

GO TO THE IP CAMERA SETUP PAGE .... YOU MUST HAVE ONE FOR IP

I can see the NVR's IP address (e.g. when logging into my router) but not the cameras - which means I have an NVR with two wireless cameras, but neither of them is IP.

See the part you type NEITHER ARE IP.

YOU NEED IP FOR NVR ..... like I said in first post maplins miss sell ..... Or you are reading the manual wrong as it covers dvr and NVR .... Pic the right model

IF YOU WANT HELP THEN YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO LISTEN

Sorry, I really am not trying to annoy you. All I can do is answer your questions one by one. Remember, I'm asking what I thought was a simple question. I bought this Swann solution out of the box and it works just fine - except I need more range.

OK, here goes:

Wow ...... All recorders will show like that when connected to a network be it a NVR or dvr
Fair enough, but I don't think "Wow" is quite fair. I'm just a one-off user and have no prior background in this field.

What I asked for you to do is show your Swann NVR camera page

All IP cameras need a IP address either over the network or on NVR internal settings

See screen-shot below.

Also like I said with the app you have listed (which does analog and NVR) you should be able to pic up the cameras WIFI . DOES YOURS DO THAT .??
I have no idea. I determined this afternoon that my router doesn't detect the two cameras. I have no idea what kind of device I would need for this.

Your screen shot is only of your settings for dvr on local network

GO TO THE IP CAMERA SETUP PAGE .... YOU MUST HAVE ONE FOR IP

I don't, as far as I know, have an IP CAMERA SETUP PAGE. Swann's documentation is atrocious. There is no manual, just a leaflet, mainly of pictures. The screenshots bear no relation to the actual software - and the whole thing was just trial-and-error to set up. If Swann could have been bothered, I could have set up the software side in an hour. It actually took about two days. As an example, the leaflet provided a URL to download the SwannView Link software but the URL they provided didn't exist! After eventually finding the software, when I double-clicked on the icon to run it, there was a momentary hourglass - and then nothing. After many hours of uninstalling and reinstalling, I suddenly realised that you have to right-click on the icon and select "Run as Administrator". Why don't the idiots at Swann put this in their documentation? Who on earth would ever guess that? They just p*ss of their customers who - LIKE ME - would never ever buy from Swann again.

You hate Maplin. I hate Swann. We both learn from our own experiences.

YOU NEED IP FOR NVR ..... like I said in first post maplins miss sell ..... Or you are reading the manual wrong as it covers dvr and NVR .... Pic the right model
As above, there was no manual, just a crummy leaflet. Hugely frustrating. I cannot find anything at all relating to IP with my two cameras.

IF YOU WANT HELP THEN YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO LISTEN
Ouch!

Image2.thumb.jpg.027495880262eb72c7ceed626a04f7aa.jpg

Hi. Maplins always miss sell you don't have a NVR it is a wireless dvr

Like I said on my first post maplins miss sell.

Any dvr or NVR will show network settings if connected to your network

Wow was for not reading ..... And again maplins miss sell.

Swann is a budget system but they do have a good manual ... It's like a book. But maplins sells graded products .... Swann sometimes sells them to maplins repacked in basic boxes and in some cases a basic setup guild.

But like I said in my first post wireless systems can be limited to distance with the signal

And to try and make it better you need to put the dvr the same height as your cameras upstairs in a central location if you can ..... Doing that will increase your wireless signal but then you have the problem of to far from your router ..... But you can sort that out by using eithernet over power plugs from PC world.

You can also setup dvr viewing on your PC by just typing 192.168.0.4 into your browser

There is not much else you can do with wireless systems

You can use these to get network connection from your router to your dvr upstairs

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-tl-pa4010kit-av600-powerline-adapter-twin-pack-10143560-pdt.html

The easiest way is to use wireless security cameras... I think you should use this type of system rather than you have, you would save the wiring from the DVR to the camera. There is a comparative between both systems wired vs wireless: http://goo.gl/p4vPdz

Back trying to sell more of your crap

You may consider to Cascade Connect technology.What is Cascade Connect wireless wifi camera kits?

It's NVR transfer signal to camera A,then camera A transfer to camera B,Transmission distance is twice of stardand wifi cameras.To solution the wifi video camera security camera transmission in long distance.Common code connect: NVR transfer signal to all of cameras.You may to know from this weblink: http://www.hcvcctv.com/hcv-nvr4d-wk/

696473728_longdistancewifivideosecuritycameras.png.10234785fd2d4459c044bf2045454293.png