Sign in to follow this  
Norwich Dave

DHCP

Interested to hear other peoples opinions/experience re dealing with the infamous DHCP problems..I'm often asked to install systems to monitor outbuildings, stables and most recently a crop of potato's over a 8 month period, planting to harvest.

Most as me to install it through their existing home tinternet/tv/media system and a typical home situation would be hub/tv/pc/phone then adding a dvr and ip cams.

Experience has taught me that making the cameras only static works best, but there have been situations when DHCP works best with everything fluid..

Interested to hear about your installs and dhcp

There are basically two ways to set network settings for DVR/NVR or IP camera for internet connection.

1. Set DDNS service or use static WAN address if available.

Use static LAN address for DVR/NVR or IP camera

Set router's port forwarding for all device's services. Avoid using port 80 for web service, move it to different port.

PRO: All network services available both on LAN and internet connection.

CON: Must reprogram the router after every router reset to factory default and of course if you change the router. If you change the ISP you may have to even change the DVR/NVR or camera's IP address. Different IP address for LAN or internet connection.

2. Use P2P (peer-to-peer) connection if supported by device. Set DHCP IP address option on the device.

PRO: works plug'n'play, just connect it to any LAN port with internet connection.

CON: some devices support limited functions on P2P connection. Usually slower connecting and longer delay.