rakwel10

SEAGATE CONSTELLATION 7200RPM a Good CCTV Harddrive?

Hi!

I just want to know if this harddrive im about to buy fits for CCTV purpose.

I'm not so knowledgeable about this. I'm buying this because it fits my budget and I heard that 7200 RPM is better when it comes to CCTV hard drive. Thoughts?

SEAGATE 1TB SATA CONSTELLATION CS 7200RPM 64MB 3.5"(SED BASED)

Color: BLUE

Interface: SATA

Capacity: 1TB

Type: SSHD SATA

RPM: 7200 RPM

Cache: 64 MB

Dimension: 5.8 x 4 x 0.8 inches

That hard drive would do fine. Also look at Western Digital Purple drives, they are designed for cctv systems. Not sure how many cameras you have or how many hours they record, but 1TB is not much these days.

Full Disclosure - I work for Seagate

Constellation CS is an EOL Nearline lite drive - the drive was 7200RPM but not an SSHD as the description suggests....

We have a range of drives called Skyhawk which are specifically for surveillance

http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/hdd/skyhawk/

Let me know if you have any questions

Thanks

Thank you for your reply.

Those skyhawk drives look good... Unfortunately I need to live with my budget. Could you suggest the cheapest harddrive that I can buy with my $50-$60 budget? It is just for home use and will cater 4 cameras.

Regarding "EOL Nearline lite drive" could you elaborate more what this mean?

Thanks a lot!

That hard drive would do fine. Also look at Western Digital Purple drives, they are designed for cctv systems. Not sure how many cameras you have or how many hours they record, but 1TB is not much these days.

Hi! Thank you for your reply. I only have 4 cameras. 15+days is ample for me

Based on 4 cameras and 15 days retention, 1TB is ample and the Skyhawk is right in your budget.

Sorry for not being clear on the comments RE the Constellation... That model is End of Life and no longer manufactured, it would likley be a refurbished drive you would be buying so I would suggest going with a new build drive designed for video recording.

Thanks