Sign in to follow this  
jdbell2004

Image surge issue - tripping motion detection

My Night Owl system is having some issues I cannot find any information on. I have the system below:

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/night-owl-16x8-40-type/prod20592101.ip?xid=plp:product:1:1

During daylight hours, my cameras will occasionally "surge", basically dim momentarily and brighten again. This trips the motion detection and sends me countless notifications a day. It almost looks like the camera is quickly engaging and disengaging the IR cut filter. This mainly seems to occur with my outdoor mounted cameras. Any ideas?

I'll post a video when I get home this evening.

Thanks!

Jon

Why on earth would you use motion activation on an outdoor camera to trigger email/sms alerts. You now have first hand knowledge of why it shouldn't be done.

On my night owl system, the 1 outdoor cam i have was way too sensitive from the start.

Turned the sensitivity to 3. That worked well for me.

Why on earth would you use motion activation on an outdoor camera to trigger email/sms alerts. You now have first hand knowledge of why it shouldn't be done.

Ha! You're not kidding. I'll stick with notifications for indoor only.

Still curious what is causing the image to surge dim to bright. It's annoying having all of these motion record events of nothing.

On my night owl system, the 1 outdoor cam i have was way too sensitive from the start.

Turned the sensitivity to 3. That worked well for me.

I've backed all of mine down to 4 now. Still having the surging issue though. Any ideas?

Hello. The DVR should allow you to set an email schedule or lessen the sensitivity or focus the motion detection mask.

It does, however the entire camera viewing area dims then brightens and this trips the motion detection.