jj14x

Need recommendation

Hi,

I currently have a Q-see QC9116 with QCA8050B cameras installed (Analog HD - BNC connectors). I've used it for a while now, and thought it was ok (not great, but usable). Recently, I realized that I can't even read the license plates of a car (in daytime) in my driveway, and would like to replace it with a better system.

Cost is of course a factor - would like it to be under $1k if possible.

Question: Would upgrading to an IP NVR based system (with the price limit of about $1000) be noticeably better than what I have currently? Or should I just use this one?

From what I've read on these forums, the Hikvision seems to be the way to go, but unless I get something from the gray market, those seem to be pretty expensive, and I don't know how their support is.

What other options would you suggest? I'd like to get a system that has 8 bullet cameras (if possible, I'd like to get something that has 16 channels to be able to record the streams from my Foscam C1 cameras that I use indoors)

I read about Laview having decent cameras - newegg has a bundle for about 1250 (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881183097) and add about $130 for a HDD. It is over my budget, but I can't find anything else that is cheaper.

Also saw https://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-4TB-HDD%2c-8-4MP-Cameras-with-100'-Night-Vision.product.100313951.html About the same price (after adding tax).

Thoughts?

Hello,

How long is your driveway, and rough distance of the cars driving past, this is crucial to choosing the right camera to get the distance you need.

Omair

Hello,

The driveway is really not that long - maybe about 35-40 feet (2 or so car lengths). Cars driving past will be about 50 ft far. I don't think I need to read the plates on the cars driving past - but just need something with better clarity than what I currently have.

I saw https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881183053&Tpk=N82E16881183053 on sale for $400 - it only has 6 cameras (1080p), so I'll need to buy 2 more (and a HDD too) - no idea how good this is though.

One other related question: In my original post, I had mentioned that I would like the ability to record streams from a few wireless foscams. If the NVR is 8 channels, and I have 8 wired cameras connected to it, does that mean the NVR cannot record streams from other wireless cameras? Or does the 8 channel mean that it can only accept 8 wired cameras (and will accept other wireless cameras)? I think the answer is the former - that I will need a 16 channel NVR, but would like to confirm. I tried calling Laview customer support and they had an hour long wait (maybe more - but I hung up after an hour)

Thanks!