Sign in to follow this  
bigtrev

Have NAS, do i need a NVR

Hi,

I have 10 Hikvision IP Cameras, all set up to record over NFS to my freeNAS. I can view all the cameras and the recordings from the iVMS app on my PC.

Is there any point in adding a HikVision NVR to the setup? The built in POE would be useful, as would the HDMI output to a dedicated monitor, but apart from that, would it add any benefits?

Would i be able to record to the NAS and the NVR simultaneously?

Thanks

Yes and no.

Why no:

If it works, it works.

If you're happy, it's all good.

Why yes:

A dedicated NVR does several things.

Not sure how the Hikvision cameras are set up, but mos tof the times, IP cameras does not have a way to manage used space, and when there is no space left, you might end up with having to manually clear the NAS or risk loosing new data.

Also, NAS disks are not optimal for CCTV.

NAS disks are built to be powered on for 24/7 oposed to desktop disks which is good.

NAS disks and desktop disks have built-in fail-safes, which is good. If a faulty byte is received the disk will ask for it to be sent again because one byte wrong in an excel sheet might mean ruined file.

AV-GP disks are built to run in CCTv applications.

They can run 24/7 no problem, but when they receive a faulty byte, they don't care. Worst case scenario of a faulty byte is a minor visual error in an image for a brief moment. No problem.

What Is a problem, is using unneccesary time asking to resend the faulty byte like the NAS disk does, which might cause a back log of data from the cameras, cause the camera feed does not pause. It keeps spamming those bits non-stop.

I have used an AV-GP disk for data storage for about two years, no problem.

I have used a NAS disk for CCTV for almost a year, no problem.

Just to test it.

Mostl likely, you won't have a problem with your NAS.

But you'll have lower chance of failure with an NVR.