Sign in to follow this  
cameraphobe

Ethernet cable?

Hi, hope someone can help. I just got a basic 2 camera cctv system installed and the guy who installed it hooked it up to my pc with an ethernet cable as my current pc monitor doesn't have an HDMi connection on it. As a bit of a technopobe and someone has no idea about cctv systems, my question is, do I need to have the ethernet cable connected if I don't plan to view images remotely? I plan to upgrade my pc monitor to one with HDMi so will I then just need to connect directly to the pc monitor to review footage? And do I need to leave my pc modem on all the time or, as long as the dvr is powered up, will it record regardless?

Im a little confused. HDMI and ethernet dont have anything to do with each other.

Yes DVR will record as long as it and the cameras are on. Has nothing to do with DVR being on your network.

Does your DVR have its own monitor? To view the DVR from your PC yes the DVR and your PC must be on your network (each woud be plugged into your router with ethernet cable.)

Typically people leave their modem on all the time. Never really heard of someone turning it off.