Sign in to follow this  
CalgaryGuy

Cam On Front Doorstep -- Good Location ??

Hi all -

Not sure where else to post this.

I have a really good 7 cam POE system with 3MP cams, a NVR and an high end UPS. I recently got a good deal on another cam for my last remaining channel. My question is, where is the best bang for the buck from a security perspective? I have one cam in my garage (tons of high end tools), two in my backyard (pointing away and towards my house); the side of my house with my gate and my neighbour's gate; two on the front of my house at cross angles on my driveway, and one leading up to my front door. Rather than place the new cam on the other side of my house with no gates and nothing of interest really, I was thinking there could be value in having it capture visitors to the front door. We currently don't see visitors well except for when they walk up the path--but then they go out of frame once they arrive on the door step and we have no eyes on them or a facial closeup while at the door either when ringing the doorbell, leaving packages, or talking to us at the door.

Other facts here: we have a 7 foot fence around our backyard; our back gate that is monitored by a cam cannot be unlocked from the outside of the yard--only the inside; we have a dog as well as a monitored alarm system; my CCTV cams do not capture sound; we are retired and home most of the time. Our neighbourhood has the second lowest crime rate in a city of 1.3 million. But we have issues with renters on the side of our property with the gates, and increasingly more problems in the neighbourhood with people who are testing homes during the day to see if they are occupied by either ringing doorbells or stuffing flyers into garage door weatherstripping. Since a new train station went in nearby we see more strangers and the number of B&E's are rising, especially during the day.

I'm thinking there is good value in having a record of faces at the door, more so than monitoring the area on the other side of our house with no gates, windows, doors or access. If anyone scaled the 7 foot fence in this area the backyard cams would capture them anyways.

Anyone have any thoughts here for my remaining channel?? Is the value high or low for capturing people at your door??

Thanks, in advance everyone.

I have one on my front door and love it. My cameras are also 3mp but to make someone face out the front door one is the best. Up close and personal.

Hi. I would put at front door with audio

Video and audio at front door is always good it's the easiest way for anyone to enter your home