Sign in to follow this  
JohnDS

Recommendation for cat6 and is my setup good?

Hello,

I need a recommendation for what kind and where to buy cat6(or cat6e or cat6a?) lengths with the RJ45 connectors already installed on both ends. This is for a single story ranch. The wires will be running through the attic to the soffits where cameras will be. The only camera that will be away from the house will be at corner of property by fence.

I found this website for premade cat 6 but is this any good: https://www.securitycameraking.com/CAT6-100FT.html?productFeedId=0&utm_source=googleBaseFeed&utm_medium=shoppingEngine&utm_campaign=Google&source=productlistings88412074014&origin=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjw78vLBRCZARIsACr4cxw6NexDq4HtFJN7anpfgLcl-hwDb7GkIEr5xQXi9N7wfyUEi919E-EaAsT_EALw_wcB?

Also wanted some input on the surveillance system I plan to piece together.

I plan to get:

Cameras:

- DS-2CD2142FWD-IS-2.8MM (8 of these)

NVR:

- DS-7716NI-I4/16P (1 of these). This one is on sale with 2TB hard drive which is cheaper than the same one without any hard drive otherwise I would just get the one without a hard drive. When I need to expand I plan to buy:

- 4) 6TB WD PURPLE NV SURVEILLANCE HARD DRIVES (totalling 24TB)

I am hoping to get some feedback. Thank you.

The image of the cable in the link you provided doesn't look like external grade cable to me, too tightly wound (could just be stock image).

External grade cable will protect from water and sunlight, well worth paying the few extra $/€/£.

Cat5e cable will probably be cheaper, it's good for 1G speeds which is more than you need for IP cameras. To give you an idea of pricing, over here in the UK I picked up external cat5e cable for my recent install for 27p metre, Cat6 was around double that.

The image of the cable in the link you provided doesn't look like external grade cable to me, too tightly wound (could just be stock image).

External grade cable will protect from water and sunlight, well worth paying the few extra $/€/£.

Cat5e cable will probably be cheaper, it's good for 1G speeds which is more than you need for IP cameras. To give you an idea of pricing, over here in the UK I picked up external cat5e cable for my recent install for 27p metre, Cat6 was around double that.

Thank you for your reply. Does anyone happen to know if these particular cameras I plan to get send and receive audio?

cant find any mention of audio for that camera, so I assume not.

If you go to the hikvision website for this particular camera, it shows the specs for the interface below, but I don't know for sure if that's what it means about the audio:

http://www.hikvision.com/us/Products_1.aspx?c_kind=1&c_kind2=2&c_kind3=10502&c_kind4=10504&c_kind5=10531&id=7563

Interface

Can anyone confirm if this means it can send and receive audio?

Audio Input: | 1channel (2.0 ~ 2.4Vp-p, 1KOhm)

Audio Output: | 1 channel (Line level, 600Ohm)

Communication Interface: | 1 RJ45 10M / 100M Ethernet interface

Alarm: | 1x alarm I/O

Alarm Input: | 1

Alarm Output: | 1

On-board storage: | Built-in Micro SD/SDHC/SDXC slot, up to 128 GB