AnalogVsDigital

New CCTV quotes are ALL for Analog systems, why?

Hi everyone,

I have been reading here for a while to get some info on a new install of security cameras for my property.

Every article I read online seems to say that Digital (ethernet) is superior in every way to the Analog (coax) systems.

I am considering installing the system myself, but as handy as I may be, someone experienced will probably do a better job. So I've also considered a pro to install.

The issue is ALL the quotes I get, everyone wants to put in an Analog system, 2mp. They all tell me the IP systems are NOT better, but they can install it for more $$$ if I want to. I'm not sure if they are all trying to get rid of old stock, or really believe it is the same quality.

They also tell me that Lorex/Swann are total junk and I would be crazy to install myself., but I've recently read they are rebranded from hikvision and dahua, which made me think perhaps they were not so bad.

I'm ok with paying more for the IP based system and hiring a pro to install. But I want to make sure I make the right decision.

thanks for any input

Hi everyone,

I have been reading here for a while to get some info on a new install of security cameras for my property.

Every article I read online seems to say that Digital (ethernet) is superior in every way to the Analog (coax) systems.

I am considering installing the system myself, but as handy as I may be, someone experienced will probably do a better job. So I've also considered a pro to install.

The issue is ALL the quotes I get, everyone wants to put in an Analog system, 2mp. They all tell me the IP systems are NOT better, but they can install it for more $$$ if I want to. I'm not sure if they are all trying to get rid of old stock, or really believe it is the same quality.

They also tell me that Lorex/Swann are total junk and I would be crazy to install myself., but I've recently read they are rebranded from hikvision and dahua, which made me think perhaps they were not so bad.

I'm ok with paying more for the IP based system and hiring a pro to install. But I want to make sure I make the right decision.

thanks for any input

Hi. Two types of analog..... Standard analog D1 960h which is old and no longer used.

And analog HD 720 or 1080 . In formats CVI or TVI or AHD r SDI

Most being 2mp some now upto 4mp

And then you have IP systems 1.3mp right up to 29mp or above.

Both system types are good ......and IP is much easier to install for the DIYer .......1 cat5 to each camera ...also does the power

Analog HD is coax and power cable

Price wise there is not much differance......analog HD also needs camera power supplies so is not as clean and tidy as you have with IP.

Some of the long timers on here will also tell you years ago a system would last you 5 to 10 years.

But now that is not the case .....cvi tvi ahd keeps changing so your system can be out of date in 1 to 2 years ......take hikvision and there tvi system ......first you had tvi now we have tvi3 but each system is not compatable so to upgrade its a new complete system.

IP has still got the edge on analog HD as to upgrade is only software updates on both the NVR and cameras.

IP also gives you a fall back.......if your NVR goes bad you can still access cameras and record via PC (when local network is created)

I would look at installing yourself and saves money. Look at the lorex IP systems. We have there IP system running for over 4 years with no problems.

Well thanks for the replies, in the end after getting a few quotes, I spoke to one guy I liked, will be installing all IP NVR system from LTS.

Cameras are 4mp Turret 28mm. Looking forward to getting it installed soon " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" />