Sparkysdog

Hikvision 4k NVR Problems

Hi all, I’m after a bit of advice regarding my new Hikvision system. The system is made of the following:

DS-7608NI-I2/8P-NVR-DS-7608NI-I2/8P 2 x 3TB WD Purple.

1 x DS-2CD2185FWD-I-4MM

1 x DS-2CD2185FWD-I-2.8MM

2 x DS-2CD2785FWD-IZS

This is a replacement for my pervious Hikvision DS-7716NI-E4/16P that had four 2/3 MP IP cameras connected to it. I had this system running without a problem for a couple of years. We’ve had a few incidents during the night recently, so I decided it’s time for higher res cameras and recorder.

Following the swap out I had some problems however they seemed to resolve themselves and the system has been running ok for a couple of weeks.

Today the old problem has reoccurred; I’ll try and explain as best as I can.

All four cameras are showing as being connected to the NVR and the NVR is running the latest software V4.1.10 Build 171107

When viewing the cameras using a monitor only one/two of the cameras are showing with main stream selected, when I switch to sub stream they are all showing. I can view the cameras using my android phone.

I’ve looked back over the last 24 hours recording and it seems the system has randomly stopped recording on one or two channels. When I turned the monitor on this morning one of the cameras was showing only part of the view and another had the time frozen.

I’m at a bit of a loss to know the cause, have any of you experienced the same problem, I’m wondering if it’s a hardware problem with the NVR.

Thanks

I had that same issue a while back, but I have 12 4k cameras. I think it was trying to push them too hard, too high of a bit rate. After backing some of them down (all were at 20k+ bitrate) to 8500 and only the couple really important ones higher things went better. It was a while ago, but I am pretty sure that was the reason I had the problem.

Mine is Q-see, made by Dahua, but the issue may be the same.

I had that same issue a while back, but I have 12 4k cameras. I think it was trying to push them too hard, too high of a bit rate. After backing some of them down (all were at 20k+ bitrate) to 8500 and only the couple really important ones higher things went better. It was a while ago, but I am pretty sure that was the reason I had the problem.

Many thanks for the reply spotmom

I'll have a look at that, it seems strange as the NVR is supposed to support 8 x 12MP cameras and I'm only running 4 x 8MP cameras. The system seems stable for a while then throws a wobbly for no reason.

I'll look at backing off the bit rate and see how they go.

I'll have a look at that, it seems strange as the NVR is supposed to support 8 x 12MP cameras and I'm only running 4 x 8MP cameras. The system seems stable for a while then throws a wobbly for no reason.

Did you figure this out mate?

I had the same problem. 4K nvr. 4x 5mp cams. On split screen you cant view all 4cams at 5mp. Only 1 was working at 5mp in split screen the rest was substream and very poor. Long story short. Only options I had was

1st option: I had to set recording at 1080p in order to view all 4 in split screen at 1080p. And will record in 1080p (being this option I am wasting the extra 3mp so should of just bought 4x 2mp cams instead)

2nd option: set recording at 4K, be able to view all 4 in split screen but it will be in substream (very poor) but it will record in 5mp. (This option isn’t good for us because if we are sit here looking at the monitor it looks blurry like my old old 720p system was twice as good!

What annoys me is if you want a 4K system. 4x 4K cams and you have a 4K monitor. You would think you can view all 4 cams in split screen at 4K and record at 4K. But that’s not the way it works you only have them 2 options view all 4 in 1080p, record in 1080p. Wasting the rest of the mp’s. Or record in 4K but viewing on monitor in very poor substream

Did you figure this out mate?

I had the same problem. 4K nvr. 4x 5mp cams. On split screen you cant view all 4cams at 5mp. Only 1 was working at 5mp in split screen the rest was substream and very poor. Long story short. Only options I had was

1st option: I had to set recording at 1080p in order to view all 4 in split screen at 1080p. And will record in 1080p (being this option I am wasting the extra 3mp so should of just bought 4x 2mp cams instead)

2nd option: set recording at 4K, be able to view all 4 in split screen but it will be in substream (very poor) but it will record in 5mp. (This option isn’t good for us because if we are sit here looking at the monitor it looks blurry like my old old 720p system was twice as good!

What annoys me is if you want a 4K system. 4x 4K cams and you have a 4K monitor. You would think you can view all 4 cams in split screen at 4K and record at 4K. But that’s not the way it works you only have them 2 options view all 4 in 1080p, record in 1080p. Wasting the rest of the mp’s. Or record in 4K but viewing on monitor in very poor substream

Hi, yes I may have resolved the issue (touch wood)

I lowered the bitrate on two of the less important cameras and all seems to be OK so far. I did this about two weeks ago, previously the system would have stalled within a week.

I'm running 4 x 8MP cameras recording at 4K in H.264, full frame, the bitrates are set as follows

1st 8192

2nd 4096

3rd 4096

4th 1024

I'm recording in 4k but only viewing live output at 1080p as I've split the hdmi output to view it on two screens in different parts of the house, I've got to keep it at 1080p as one of the screens won't support anything higher.

Cheers

Hi, yes I may have resolved the issue (touch wood)

I lowered the bitrate on two of the less important cameras and all seems to be OK so far. I did this about two weeks ago, previously the system would have stalled within a week.

I'm running 4 x 8MP cameras recording at 4K in H.264, full frame, the bitrates are set as follows

1st 8192

2nd 4096

3rd 4096

4th 1024

I'm recording in 4k but only viewing live output at 1080p as I've split the hdmi output to view it on two screens in different parts of the house, I've got to keep it at 1080p as one of the screens won't support anything higher.

Cheers

Emm interesting! As I could never get to record at 4K while viewing in 1080p. I have to choose 1 or the other.

I will play about with the bitrates again but did do for weeks! And even from the Cctv tech guy on who I bought my system from they said it’s not possible to record in 4K while watching live view at 1080px4

When you say you have to keep it at 1080p due to one of your screens outputs. What do you mean mate? That you can if wanted get a full 4K on 4 channels on a 4K monitor?

It does say in data sheet that the nvr you have is capaibale of 4ch@1080p or 1ch@ 4K so I don’t think it’s ever possible to get 4ch@4k?

Arr ignore that I just looked up your nvr and yours is the latest 1 that has an output of 12mp. So yours on data sheet says you can view 4ch or 8ch @ 4K!

My 4K nvr says I can run 4ch@1080p!

Iam now very interested to see if you can! get all 4 channels to work at once in live view on a 4K screen ? While recording in 4K ?

Hi. The 8 way will play back 4 at 8mp. Just as that is top of the limit for that NVR

You need to have both camera and NVR set at H265.

But you also have another problem which will reduce your viewing and in some cases miss recordings

And that is two of your cameras the DS-2CD2785FWD-IZS also has audio. Your recorder will struggle at 8mp and also audio compression

Just for a test remove two cameras over night and then look back on your footage. If that is ok connect them back but disable audio on both cameras and see how that goes.

In fact for live viewing on a 4 split screen on a 4K monitor you can only get a max of 4x 2k. If wanted 4x4k live view you would need a 8k monitor? Meaning it’s never gona be possible to get 4x 4K live viewing on a 4K monitor is that correct @tomcctv

Also Tom did you get my pm?

In fact for live viewing on a 4 split screen on a 4K monitor you can only get a max of 4x 2k. If wanted 4x4k live view you would need a 8k monitor? Meaning it’s never gona be possible to get 4x 4K live viewing on a 4K monitor is that correct @tomcctv

Also Tom did you get my pm?

Hi. No that's not right 4K monitor output is 4K output

4 X screen would still be 4K

But qvis don’t offer 4K Cctv yet? Wouldn’t that mean qvis is behind Hikvision mate?

Qvis are doing 4k but you need to be registered to see it.

If hikvision sells a 4k 16 way recorder you don’t want to find out if you run 4k cameras then the total number of cameras is only 4 and you can’t add anything else..... does not make it a 16way. That is a false statement from hik.

Dahua and lorex do 4k a lot better