VillageIT

Advice on new IP Based CCTV System

I am reasonably new to CCTV although as part of my work I have set up remote access to a number of systems. I would really appreciate some advice on a new installation. I have already decided on certain elements/functionality:

• 1) I want an IP based system for flexibility and compatibility
    2) Power over ethernet to avoid having to run additional power to the camera
    3) The system has to be compatible with other systems ONVIF??
    4) Should use H.264+ or MP4 compression
    5) Preferably have DDNS functionality as I don't have a fixed IP address
    6) Should ideally have a web server for both administration and viewing camera via web browser
    7) ideally should not rely on a Flash Plug in and therefore only work with internet explorer.
    8 ) Have a smart phone app for remote monitoring.
    9) Have a short focus camera for the front door (possibly wireless)
    10) Have a long distance/wide angle camera for the back garden that nearly 100m long

I have quite a large single storey bungalow and large garden that I want to monitor with all camera external. The recorder will sit in my roof along with my existing 24 port Gigabit Ethernet switch switch hence the need to monitor and administer via a web browser or PC Application.

So far I have looked at ANNKE, SANNCE, HIKVISION and ZMODO systems, however I have heard other board contributors mention QVIS especially Viper range. There are pros and cons to each of the former systems with criticism over the NVR ability to record 8 channels at once or very poor Smartphone Apps or reliance on Flash plugins.

Initially I believe I need 6 cameras with the possibility to extend so an 8 channel recorder is required. Most cameras will be mounted on gable ends of various parts of the roof (There are 6 gable ends due to layout of bungalow and design of roof). I assume therefore that Bullet cameras will be best and should ideally be IP 67 weather proof. One of the cameras needs to cover the front door so I can see who is at the door. Due to the porch layout it may be difficult getting an ethernet cable to the camera however there is power. This may therefore have to be a wireless camera possibly of a different make or design. It will also be very close to the subject so needs to have a fairly short focal length.

Can anyone suggest a kit or an NVR and separate cameras that would fit with my requirements above.

Many thanks

With bullet cameras spiders will drive you crazy, turret/eyeball style are much better.

For night vision, look at the Dahua 2mp starlight cameras, but there is no put together systems that I know of. Hikvison also has the Ultra Low-Light cameras for better night vision.

With bullet cameras spiders will drive you crazy, turret/eyeball style are much better.

For night vision, look at the Dahua 2mp starlight cameras, but there is no put together systems that I know of. Hikvison also has the Ultra Low-Light cameras for better night vision.

Thanks 51cent. Sorry but could you expand the problem with spiders? Do you mean they activate the cameras by their movement or obstruct the view by building webs?

As regards turret cameras how do you mount these on a vertical surface and are they still IP67 weatherproof. There are no roof overhangs on my gable walls.

Finally on the main drive I need a camera mounted side by side facing each way. Are there turrets that can cover 180 degrees or rotate to either direction or even have two cameras in one housing?

I am new to the practicalities of CCTV camera placement although with my background understand the networking aspects.

Many thanks

IR light attracts spiders who build their webs which sway in a little breeze, not to mention the spiders movements. I believe the circular pattern of the lights on a bullet contibute to the problem. I have 2 bullets and 2 dome cameras, and the domes rarely have problems.

They make wall mounts for turrets/domes. Google the term PFB203W Wall Mount

Dahua makes a new dual camera, I don't know the model number but it is cheaper to buy 2 cameras and use those.

For long distance lens help, google the term lens calculator

Don't mount the cameras too high if you want to id people, you will just get the top of their heads or a hat will hinder id.

OK so I have decided to go with a Qvis Viper system with two vari-focal Qvis MBULLETVIP-5-VW bullets to cover the garden and three Qvis EYEVIP-5-FW 2.8mm Turrent cameras for the other areas. Just few additional questions;-

1) What type of connections do these Qvis cameras have? Is it a single RJ45 female connector within a waterproof coupling, or both the RJ45 AND a separate 5mm female jack for 12v supply. I am using POE so any other cable is redundant and gets in the way.

2) Has anyone had success using an HDMI to RF Modulator to send the NVR signal to TVs around the house. As analogue TV is now switched off I was hoping to use one of the many free analogue channels as all my TVs are old enough to have both analogue and digital tuners?

3) Can you buy Cat5e leads of various lengths separately with the same waterproof connector as the QVIS camera. The local distributor wants to supply and install rather than just supply and dosn't include cables in the price?

4) When I search for Qvis cameras ONY-X also comes up. Are they made by the same company? I believe QVIS is A-Data

Many thanks

Hi. Both cameras come with rj45 and power jack ... you just wrap up power jack with amalgamated tape.

Also both cameras come with waterproof cable management.

The viper is Poe so no need for power.

I would install yourself as the system is auto setup. We have 9 systems out now and there good and reliable

Be careful on buying already made cables it will cost you more than making your own. Plus at camera end you have to put the rj45 on after you feed into the cable management

Feeding back to your tv ..... this might be a problem for you ..... old TVs support 720p which might show a poor image or with not be in range not allowing any image. We supply Apple TV or the chrome and let customs see there camera feed from mobile device onto there tv.

But yes there are devices to get nvr signal to TVs but you won’t have control of your unit ..... no mouse control

Cat5 cable you should not be paying anymore that £55

Rj45 ends 20p each and are easy to put on

Thank you so much TomCCTV

I am quite happy terminating cat 5 cable in fact I do it all the time with my current job. However I believe on some cameras the connection to the camera has a special screw together two part waterproof connector http://topcctvcameras.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/sannce-cctv-1080p-poe-camera-cable.jpg or is the rj45 socket on QVIS within the camera body?

Can you buy these waterproof connectors separately?

Thanks for the tip on Modulators. All my TVs are actually 1080p so it should be OK. My problem with an Apple TV (which I have an old one I could use) is that I have run out of HDMI inputs on the TV. I was looking at creating a private channel on Roku (which all the TVs have) but that seems to be overkill. I also understand no mouse control although I might be able to do this with a long USB cable from the NVR and a wireless mouse.

However my long term plan was to have a monitor in the kitchen that doubles as a electronic picture frame that switches to the CCTV view when a camera is tripped into recording. I am not sure if this is feasible or how complicated this is but will experiment.

Again thanks for responding

ps are QVIS the same make as ONY-X?

Hi. Just took some pics of 4mp qvis and this is how all network cameras from qvis are.

Same as your link ... qvis joint also has a network connect light built in so you know it’s talking to your network.

Yes they are the same company

366A5F77-AE87-42A5-814E-5B2504E7EA5E.jpeg.2b9c3838130f0266372702893e8cc347.jpeg

2E908D90-D843-40FD-AE27-95541F4223EA.jpeg.3578dacaa1bf7c55c238b209df8495f4.jpeg

8A4E315A-76A6-4F30-88C2-0CD504DB39D6.jpeg.7fea151869e107fb5c147b04f6bce3d2.jpeg

Thanks a bunch TomCCTV, thats really helpful.

From your picture it looks like the "Male" part of the connector can slip over a terminated RJ45 plug and then clamps down on the cable jacket making a water tight seal, or am I wrong and the plug has to be crimped on after the cover?

Does the "Male" half of the plug also come with the camera or do you have to buy these separately or get them on pre-made cables?

John

Hi. John I did not want to say yes till I tried with a pre made cable .

As I have not used pre made.

But just opened one and yes you are right rubber is split and a pre made rj45 fits down the tube and when all together water tight

Thank you again Tomcctv, for "Going the Extra Mile" to help people out on these forums. It is really appreciated.

I am just about to place my order for QVIS kit so will update in a few weeks when all installed and working.

John