Sign in to follow this  
Mustang65

Night Owl DVR-16B57AG - Email Alert Issue

I am new here, although I have had my NightOwl system for a couple of years. I did a few searches and did not find anything on email issues with the Night Owl. Since DAY1, I have not been able to get the Email Alert to work. I set up its own email address on the mail server, set up a test camera, set-up the Motion Detection options and nothing. I believe that the issue may be that my email server needs a USERNAME, but I do not see that option on the set-up screen. Has anyone been able to get the function to work? I have tried SSL on/off, with no change.

I am able to access the unit from anywhere, so the Internet/Wi-Fi modem/PortForwarding are set up fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Don

NightOwl (12-cameras)

DVR=DVR16B57AG

Model=SN168500

WebPort=80

Software Version=V2.3-V101208

Can you post screen shots of your menus? I am not familiar with this model.

Sorry for the delay...

- I am able to access the cameras both on the Intra/Internet with no issues

- I have assigned a port to the Nightowl and it is recognized by the modem

- I created a new gmail email account just to try it.

- I tested the gmail account to insure that it is working properly (Send an email, rcv and email, rcv email from itself)

-------- Nightowl, suggested the following (cut from email):

"I would recommend trying a gmail account to see if it would work with that, here are the settings you can use:

DVR must be set up correctly on the local network & network must have Internet access. No exceptions.

In order for any emails alerts to go through, they must have the DVR set to send notifications & motion enabled.

Do not use the nightowldvr.com. Try to use a Gmail account for e-mail setups.

Using a Gmail account as an example here is how you would fill in the fields.

http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13287

Email: Enabled

SSL: ON

SMTP port: 465

SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com

SEND email: name@gmail.com

SEND pw: [case sensitive]

Here are the screen shots.

412817014_NightowlAlarmManageSETUP.thumb.jpg.085fdcd4fc1a537f7f9206b42c9044c4.jpg

1918045893_NightowlAlarmSetup.thumb.jpg.a82e828cb9422e6a175370ebd170897a.jpg

2016600604_NightowlEmailSetup.jpg.463e420e4f23f90b87a935652431ec0f.jpg

Actually there are so many people that can't get Gmail to work that I would not recommend it, personally. Always use your ISP email address. If you didn't create an email account with your Internet service provider, do so. Then Google their email port or ask them for the details and plug that in the Dvr for the sender. For the receiver, use any address you want.

Actually there are so many people that can't get Gmail to work that I would not recommend it, personally. Always use your ISP email address.

I have my own website with my own Pop3 email accounts, and that was where I started. When I was unable to get that to work, I tried using my Yahoo email account, and when that did not work I created a Gmail account which is my latest unsuccessful attempt.

I have tried every option under each of the tried email services, with no luck.

Don

Internet provider address specifically. I have optimum cable, so I use my optonline address. If your ISP address can't get it done, it's a problem in the dvr. Maybe even a firmware update along the way addressed it. You'll have to find out. Good luck. Email ain't easy sometimes, I know. Hope it works out.

Internet provider address specifically. I have optimum cable, so I use my optonline address. If your ISP address can't get it done, it's a problem in the dvr. Maybe even a firmware update along the way addressed it. You'll have to find out. Good luck. Email ain't easy sometimes, I know. Hope it works out.

I may have to research the site for what is the best Security Camera DVR. I am happy with the NightOwl, but this NOTIFICATION is key component for me looking forward. I checked for firmware updates and they informed me that I have the latest version (came with DVR). I have scratch built interfaces using microcontrollers that will email me when the house has a water leak, someone steps on sensors in the yard shed (drives the wife crazy), or the fridge goes above 45 degrees, but I can not get this to work. Strange...

I guess i will search the site for recommendations on a Camera DVR that has a KNOWN WORKING email and or txt msg alert.

Thanks

Don

Any recommendations?

For every drv there is someone who is having trouble with setting up email notification. On an openeye dvr at work it took me days of head scratching until I finally used my isp email info. Now I use only that with no trouble. Another dvr won't guarantee you won't have trouble, sorry to say. If you can eventually get it figured out, never forget that info you plug in. Good luck.

It took me a while to get this working on my PE-DVR16 but it's working great now and I'm pretty happy about it.

Here are some screenshots of the settings I used:

277729_1.png

Google by default will block sending the emails because it considers the DVR a 'less secure app'. I used a secondary throw-away gmail account of mine to do the sending (that's what's under the username/password section on that screenshot) and had it send the notification to my primary email account (which I didn't have to change the security settings for).

To change the security settings on your gmail account to allow 'less secure' apps access:

1. Log on to https://myaccount.google.com/security

2. Go to 'Connected apps and sites'

3. Hit the switch on 'Allow less secure apps: OFF' to 'Allow less secure apps: ON'

277729_2.png

That's what worked for me, hope it works for you

In setting up a Lorex with gmail notifications, I found that I had to use SSL and an App password:

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833

This is apparently required because 2-step-verification is turned on.

--FP

can you please explain how this google's "2-step-verification" work ?

i understood that this is for google apps... not 3rd party devices (like DVR).

thanks.