JoeDVR

Email Notification

I am really having problems setting up email notifications on a 4 ch Avtech DVR. I am using their video viewer CMS software and i have followed all directions. I think i read that only GMail works for this option. Is that true?

Gmail will only work if the DVR supports SSL. Settings are as follows:

(Outgoing) Server: smtp.gmail.com

Port: 465

SSL: Enabled

Username: YourGmailAccount

Pasword: YourGmailPassword

I've yet to have an ISP block Gmail's outgoing ports, but I suppose it's possible as most ISP's block some kind of ports. In this case, you can use your ISP's email and SMTP server. Sometimes you can also get away with using your ISP's SMTP server without SSL, if your DVR doesn't support SSL. I've seen it work with Charter.

How do you find out if your DVR supports SSL. I have an Avtech 761. I dont see any check mark for SSL or even a port number for that. I am able to use my Outlook Express and my service provider sends the email to my GMAIL account but when i try to view and download the image on my gmail it says that my account is not mhtml compliant?

PM scorpion. He's the AvTech wiz...

Sometimes DVR manufacturers will call SSL other things. (Usually cheap Asian junk.) I think I've seen "security", "encrytion", "authentication". something like that... Anything similar in the menu?

Ok I finally +got my Avtech DVR to send email notifications to my GMAIL account. I got all the settings correct. The problem now is that the emails are an atttachment. On the body of the email it says, " If you see this then your email client is not HMTL/MIME compatible and i can not download or view the email. Well at least I got this far. Any ideas how I can now actually see the email attachment.

I am sending it to GMAIL from my outlook express account. It is sent to my online GMAIL account as an attachment.

i have also tried to send it to Outlook Express via GMAIL server but still the same result an attachment i can not view.

I just realized I never asked what you were trying to send...

I assumed it was a simple event notification with JPEG/ BMP image thumbnail. Is this what your trying to get?

But judging by the email you forwarded... I'd be inclined to say that the Outlook or your email service is filtering out something it thinks is spam or a virus. Try sending it to another Gmail account and use the web browser to view the email.

Also, here's another trick that will work on many phones. Use this to use your SMTP server to send SMS messages. Pictures can also be sent this way, depending on the carrier.

http://www.topbits.com/how-to-send-text-messages-free.html

Of course what i am trying to get is an image of what prompted the motion. Problem is that the file im a getting is a file called application-octet.stream file. It downloads but when i try to view on my browser or anywhere else I dont see anything. Is there anyone out there that has set up email notifications correctly?

Ok I will try to send it to my phone but i dont have an i phone. What are the settings on my dvr to send an email to my phone?

Of course? Not really. there's all sorts of notifications that can be had from DVRs. sound clips, video clips, plain text, still images... I needed to clarify your goal.

Also, the phone tip was not a solution for your problem. I was simply informing you can have the DVR text message your phone for event notification... most people do not know that it possible.

Try what I recommended in my last post in this thread:

But judging by the email you forwarded... I'd be inclined to say that the Outlook or your email service is filtering out something it thinks is spam or a virus. Try sending it to another Gmail account and use the web browser to view the email.