xtcxjigga

Ebay DVR with CNB VBM 24vf

Hey guys,

I'm new here and have been reading the forums a lot. Plenty of great information but one that I cannot figure out is this. I have a ebay dvr that was passed down to me, and I was wondering how it would fair with the CNB domes. I have a few on mind but the CNB VBM 24vf is on top of the list. The indoor ones might consist of DFL-20S. Whats your feedback on this? Is it possible to hook up the CNB domes to the ebay dvr's?

Thanks!

Those cameras should be fine. And if you find out that the dvr is not as expected you can always buy a better one.

Thanks D.V.S.

Would I need to worry about image compression and the format? it claims its h264 network ready. Will is be plug and play and would you know how would I go about accessing the OSD menu?

Would I need to worry about image compression and the format? it claims its h264 network ready. Will is be plug and play and would you know how would I go about accessing the OSD menu?

No need to worry, just get a good, reputable dvr and buy it from somewhere reputable. Amazon is a good place for newbies as it has free shipping and a great return policy in the US.

You can access the dvr gui directly from the dvr's monitor output or from a computer with that dvr software loaded on it.

You have to specify the exact model of the dvr as Ebay has hundreds of different dvr's for sale, from junk to executive.

Personally I wouldn't buy a no name dvr from a seller in China. I you don't like it, the shipping to return it would exceed the cost of the dvr. Also this dvr records at half D1 (720x240). You will probably want a dvr that records at D1 (720x480) with 7 frames per second at least.

yeah, I hear you on that. The thing is I have 2 of these dvr's, one similar to the one that is posted with a 500gb drive. I figured since its free, might as well try it out. Im really curious how the image quality will be recorded on the dvr, thus, my post.

Just because it has 720x240 doesnt mean it records in that, at least on all channels. That could be live only, most DVRs like that only record in CIF mode, or D1/half D1 on the first channel. Also the compression could be so bad that buying a high res dome like the CNB might be overkill - although the CNB dome is not that expensive anyway. If its free though its worth giving a shot. If the camera is for indoors only then bypass the 24Vf and just get the DFL-20s, just dont point it right at an entrance though as it has the usual budget camera backlighting issues, but overall the image is amazing for the price.

:D I'm curious too. Please post some recorded snapshots once you get everything running.

will do once I order the cameras!

Just because it has 720x240 doesnt mean it records in that, at least on all channels. That could be live only, most DVRs like that only record in CIF mode, or D1/half D1 on the first channel. Also the compression could be so bad that buying a high res dome like the CNB might be overkill - although the CNB dome is not that expensive anyway. If its free though its worth giving a shot. If the camera is for indoors only then bypass the 24Vf and just get the DFL-20s, just dont point it right at an entrance though as it has the usual budget camera backlighting issues, but overall the image is amazing for the price.

I guess I'll give it a shot and see where it takes me. I'll be doing both indoor and outdoor setups.

Good point Rory. The description says "DVD quality 720x240 resolution" which I would assume that would be for live view. I should have read it better. Probably records at CIF. Usually it would be "DVD quality 720x480 resolution" so their live view must suck too.

I guess I'll give it a shot and see where it takes me. I'll be doing both indoor and outdoor setups.

Also with the outdoor apps, if the VBM is not mounted under a ceiling or eave it could take on water (though the rainy season is nearing the end now), also it would need a gang box for the connections as cant make that inside the camera, unless you splice the cable together without connectors. The VCM has the extra base so doesnt need the gang box, but both of them should not really be directly exposed to the rain (regardless of the specified IP rating), such as mounting it vertical on a pole like I did, some water sneaked inside I am guessing through the bubble/ring area, also like that it gets dirty from rain spots very quickly. They sell a wall mount bracket but its a PITA so I would only use it again if It was really necessary. Id just use a bullet camera in the case of direct exposure though (other than a pelco housing with a box camera) and caulk up the area where the cable goes into it, either the KT&C VBN190NHWX Color mini bullet or a true Day Night IR bullet. Ofcourse thats just a suggestion, it depends on the app and what you can get your hands on, lots of other good products out there also.Actually a recent client even made me place 2 of the DFL-20s indoor domes outside under an eave (even though I highly suggested against it), even after a week or so of tropical storms they are still great - cross fingers!

rory,

thanks for your input on this. I was wondering about using the DFL 20s in outdoor applications as well, but seeing that you are from the bahamas and you see more warmer weather, I assume is fine. Problem is I live in NY and we see snow, it makes me wonder if I can get away with installing just the dome without any enclosures and if the cold weather will make it malfunction.

Well I wouldnt suggest putting it outside, just posting my results when i was asked to do it for a client, against my better judgement.

Only the vandal domes (VBM/VCM) are rated to go outside. If you put a DFL-20 outside it will probably die a quick death.

They will handle the cold just fine. Almost all cameras I've used have been fine into the negatives.