bill4d

Samsung SRD-470D

I am considering the Samsung SRD-470D DVR for my home.

http://www.samsung-security.com/products/videorecorders/srd470d.php

I am new to all this DVR and comera stuff, so I'm learning as I go and trying to put together a somewhat high quality set-up with a DVR and 2 cameras for now.

A few questions I have about the DVR:

It looks like some retailers sell it with a 500GB drive and also with dual 500GB drives. Since drives come in much larger capacities now, can I just purchase one without a drive and install my own single 1TB or 1.5TB drive?

What sort of recording capacity would a 500GB drive give me? I would be using 2 cameras (not sure which ones yet) and recording 24/7. How many days of data, approximately, would I be able to store before overwriting occurs?

Thanks for any feedback.

Specs state: Max 1 internal HDD (up to 2TB, 2TB x 1)

So, I don't understand how it can be sold with dual 500GB hard drives. In any case, it does seem like you can install a hard drive larger than 500GB. Whether or not you can buy it without an internal hard drive depends on who is selling it.

As far as capacity, that depends on a number of factors. Recording at lower quality can greatly increase retention time. Increasing quality can decrease retention time. Motion detection, constant recording, scheduled recording, environment and bit rate (CBR, VBR) can change retention drastically. So, there is no straight answer, like a 1TB hard drive will give you xx weeks or months.

I have various systems installed with 1TB hard drives, H.264 compression, VBR, recording 24/7 @ D1 7fps. Typically, with 1 camera I'm seeing 6+ months retention. 2 cameras 3+ months, 4 cameras 5-7 weeks and 8 cameras 2-3 weeks. The lowest retention I have is 10 days with 8 cameras recording 24/7, audio on two channels, POS text from 2 registers and a 1TB worth of hard drive space.

Please remember that your retention time may be higher or lower. The times I mentioned are just typical with the way I have systems configured.

Specs state: Max 1 internal HDD (up to 2TB, 2TB x 1)

So, I don't understand how it can be sold with dual 500GB hard drives. In any case, it does seem like you can install a hard drive larger than 500GB. Whether or not you can buy it without an internal hard drive depends on who is selling it.

As far as capacity, that depends on a number of factors. Recording at lower quality can greatly increase retention time. Increasing quality can decrease retention time. Motion detection, constant recording, scheduled recording, environment and bit rate (CBR, VBR) can change retention drastically. So, there is no straight answer, like a 1TB hard drive will give you xx weeks or months.

I have various systems installed with 1TB hard drives, H.264 compression, VBR, recording 24/7 @ D1 7fps. Typically, with 1 camera I'm seeing 6+ months retention. 2 cameras 3+ months, 4 cameras 5-7 weeks and 8 cameras 2-3 weeks. The lowest retention I have is 10 days with 8 cameras recording 24/7, audio on two channels, POS text from 2 registers and a 1TB worth of hard drive space.

Please remember that your retention time may be higher or lower. The times I mentioned are just typical with the way I have systems configured.

Thanks for the reply. That info is very helpful. I definately want to max out every setting possible, record quality, 24/7 recording, etc. I'll only have 2 cameras to start out, so a 1TB drive should be more than adequate.

I have a Samsung Storage calculator, you just put in how many camera's, what resolution you wish to record at, and how many day's, its for the the Samsung SVR range, I use it all the time as a guide, if you would like me to send it to you, drop us a line

Where can you find an AUTHORIZED dealer for Samsung Security products?

On their web site they have a page that lists all the web sites of UNAUTHORIZED dealers, but do NOT list authorized dealers.

Any help is appreciated.