Liber8or

My Wonderful (so far) Experience with Samsung SDE-120N

If you've been following my post on the Q-See QR414 (http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=23410), you may be interested in this topic. After the frustrations with the Q-See product, I began to research other consumer or prosumer grade DVR/camera packages available. I really wanted to buy locally this time, as I've had enough of the Internet mail-order gig for a while.

So, after sending the Q-See package back to Amazon (for a full refund, I assume, to be determined). A good friend, and fellow nerd who had heard of my troubles with the Q-See, called me about a unit for sale at Sam's Club. It turned out to be the Samsung SDE-120N for about $550. It comes with four cameras, two IR and two color. I've not yet installed, but I've been tinkering with the network setup and DVR functions. I've got a temporary camera pointed out a window right now while I evaluate its performance.

So, this unit is roughly $250 more than the Q-See package. I intentionally did not research the Q-See offerings at that price point because I was a bit turned off (perhaps this was shortsighted). Again, I wanted to go local, so that if I have to return it, I can travel three miles to the store and get my money back instantly, rather than waiting on people in a fulfillment center some place.

hQXvs-1.jpg

Some observations so far (I know it may be unfair, but I can't help compare it to the QR414 package):

• Well-built (cameras and DVR); has that certain je ne sais quoi of a sturdy product

• 500 gb HDD, rather than 320 gb

• Integrated camera cables, similar to s-video

• Web-interface just works, even in Chrome

• Mobile phone interface just works, even in Safari on iPhone

• Superior camera quality

• No gaping security flaws like a default password

• The manual seems to be in almost native English, well formatted, not haphazardly assembled. No major errata, that I've noticed.

• The firmware has a certain sophistication about it; a well-planned UI.

• Includes VGA video out, which means I can now use my computer monitor instead of lugging a TV into my office.

• The VGA video out is of superior quality compared to BNC composite out.

Flaws with this system, so far:

• The password that the DVR uses to authenticate with an SMTP provider to send notifications only holds a certain number of characters. I had to change the password on my GMail account to a shorter password (I think less than 20 or 16) in order to get it to work. I plan to create a separate account just for this purpose, so long term, this is not a problem.

There may be better options for the money I paid, but I do know that most places didn't have this Samsung model for this price and, with regard to local selection, there wasn't a lot to choose from except the "crap-sumer grade" stuff similar to what I had already experienced. For my money, and local purchase, this fit the bill. Hope this helps someone in my situation decide on a product.

Integrated camera cables can be more of a flaw, normally very low quality and problematic not to mention in most cases you are stuck buying their cameras which are limited.

Works in Chrome, Id like to hear more about that though

Edit. Ok going through the specs:

4 Max Network connections - a little limited but not that big a deal unless you're giving the IP out to everyone.

Not multistream so it probably uses the same encoding the recording does, no big deal most budget DVRs are like that.

Does backup right to AVI which is nice, many still use proprietary which means 1 more process to convert to AVI.

Most of the other specs are found in most of the new out of China DVRs these days, not the really really basic ones though like that one you had before LOL.

The cameras seem better than the typical consumer ones also.

Overall seems like the specs are good.

It supports BNC video inputs also (in addition to the integrated cables), so theoretically, I think I could use other cameras in a pinch. There's not really much to add to the Chrome piece, except that I simply loaded the web viewer in Chrome, typed in the user name and password, and voila! The Safari bit, not surprisingly (given their common code base), just works also, in the same way. No pop-ups, security configurations, etc.

Yeah I noticed that also about the BNCs.

I just skimmed through the manual, it still uses an ActiveX for the main browser app, called Webviewer which requires the whole IE and security settings thing in fact they dedicate a few pages of the user manual just to installing the ActiveX LOL, but it also has (according to the manual) a basic image refresh for the Iphone so using Chrome you are probably connecting to the same thing right?

I just skimmed through the manual, it still uses an ActiveX for the main browser app, called Webviewer which requires the whole IE and security settings thing in fact they dedicate a few pages of the user manual just to installing the ActiveX LOL, but it also has (according to the manual) a basic image refresh for the Iphone so using Chrome you are probably connecting to the same thing right?

You're absolutely right. The first thing I did was load it in IE, after monkeying with the ActiveX stuff. It has a few more features, enabled by the use of ActiveX. But for what I need, which is to look at each camera live from the Net, the basic image refresh (which works because it regards Chrome as coming from the Safari browser). So, while it's not the perfect solution, it doesn't require me to sacrifice any of my needs on the altar of ActiveX (unintentional though it may be).

Yeah I dont use the browser myself, especially not IE unless im testing an activeX or need to grab the files for one for some reason. I like to use the more powerful desktop app but I also understand many just want to see an image and that is a good option, some of the PC DVrs have that option also but many of the other stand alones seem to use a separate Iphone or Android app so no image for them

this is what I like to use

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQxk8nXKxqQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-MQ5ZIb0h0

Glad to hear you found a solution! I would be interested in seeing camera picture quality. Would you mind posting a snapshot of day and night? Thanks!

Also, that DVR sounds eerily similar to the ones I use... Wondering if Samsung is rebranding... Does the Chrome/ Firefox/ Safari browser client look anything like this?

chrome.gif.98c78705365b19c455e830c7cc2a8488.gif

Does the Chrome/ Firefox/ Safari browser client look anything like this?

It looks exactly like that! Must be rebranding. Interesting, who manufactures that model? I'll post some screenshots when I get the cameras properly installed; I'm getting a little rotund around the waistline, so I've got to wait on my skinny friend to help me in the attic.

Fascinating! I wonder if Samsung rebrands all of their DVRs now? Maybe just the budget units? I thought they still did some stuff in house...

The units I use are no-name, I buy direct from the real manufacturer in Korea. But I am aware of at least 3 other big name "manufacturers" that have re-branded the same units. Make that 4 now of with Samsung.

I'd be very interested in a snapshot or 2 of one of the cameras!

Edited by Guest

Here's what I'm looking at on Chrome. Please note: The cam image is sitting inside, not mounted, looking through a screen window (screen + glass) and in a poorly lit area. Again, it's just in test mode so far. Yes, that's a wooden deer, festive, I know.

r8ovB-1.png

Very cool... well it's hard to tell the camera quality through the screen and what not. Let us know when you get one mounted outside, would love to see that.

Also, that DVR sounds eerily similar to the ones I use... Wondering if Samsung is rebranding... Does the Chrome/ Firefox/ Safari browser client look anything like this?

[attachment=0]chrome.gif[/attachment]

I use he same dvr when I have to go analog.

[attachment=0]chrome.gif[/attachment]

I use he same dvr when I have to go analog.

Fascinating! I wonder if Samsung rebrands all of their DVRs now? Maybe just the budget units? I thought they still did some stuff in house...

Samsung still makes their own cameras. Well, not the GVI branded ones.

I know that Samsung/GVI were using the Korean Company Hitron to manufacture some of their products a while back, dont know if thats still true today.

If you are following my saga, you'll be glad to know the Samsung SDE-120N is installed. The equipment seems to work quite well for the price. The screenshot below shows the view from my the Internet Explorer quad-view. I may post more screenshots later, but I'm feeling lazy. Obviously, the best quality is on the VGA output of the DVR.

zcbDJ-1.png

The cameras are probably not pointing where they will aim forever, with the exception of the front door camera. I'm amazed by the cameras wide angle; I was able to cover front windows, part of porch and door, all with one camera (it's infrared, by the way).

The other two cameras on the front yard are color cameras and work pretty well in low light. The back camera is the other IR camera. I'm not thrilled with the positioning and the back yard is basically zero light. When I turn on the floods or the motion sensor sets them off, the camera works decently well. I'm considering an IR flood setup of some kind for the back yard.

The installation was performed with the help of an old friend who is in better shape than me. We used a disposable Tyvek suit and "fishing rods." This was an excuse to purchase a 36" flexible drill bit extension, too. Since we moved in to our new home, this is the first major installation I've done. The security system was pre-wired.

The single camera wire, despite its flaws, is very easy to install. The camera mounts were sturdy and mounted easily to various surfaces. I don't know if I feel the wing nut that holds the camera in position is as sturdy as I'd like it to be (there's some amount of slippage), but that could be my imagination. It wasn't enough to affect the positioning of the cameras.

By far, the hardest part was crawling through the attic, which I didn't do. I traded some database services to my best friend, who crawled on my behalf. The DVR functions are easy to use, and I've already configured motion event logs for certain cameras. The wife can easily use this system, as well as my four year old. If you have any questions that I can answer, just shout.

I know that Samsung/GVI were using the Korean Company Hitron to manufacture some of their products a while back, dont know if thats still true today.

Yeah sounds about right.

And now since the GVI & Samsung relationship is over there won't be anymore confusion.

If you are following my saga, you'll be glad to know the Samsung SDE-120N is installed. The equipment seems to work quite well for the price. The screenshot below shows the view from my the Internet Explorer quad-view. I may post more screenshots later, but I'm feeling lazy. Obviously, the best quality is on the VGA output of the DVR.

zcbDJ-1.png

The cameras are probably not pointing where they will aim forever, with the exception of the front door camera. I'm amazed by the cameras wide angle; I was able to cover front windows, part of porch and door, all with one camera (it's infrared, by the way).

The other two cameras on the front yard are color cameras and work pretty well in low light. The back camera is the other IR camera. I'm not thrilled with the positioning and the back yard is basically zero light. When I turn on the floods or the motion sensor sets them off, the camera works decently well. I'm considering an IR flood setup of some kind for the back yard.

The installation was performed with the help of an old friend who is in better shape than me. We used a disposable Tyvek suit and "fishing rods." This was an excuse to purchase a 36" flexible drill bit extension, too. Since we moved in to our new home, this is the first major installation I've done. The security system was pre-wired.

The single camera wire, despite its flaws, is very easy to install. The camera mounts were sturdy and mounted easily to various surfaces. I don't know if I feel the wing nut that holds the camera in position is as sturdy as I'd like it to be (there's some amount of slippage), but that could be my imagination. It wasn't enough to affect the positioning of the cameras.

By far, the hardest part was crawling through the attic, which I didn't do. I traded some database services to my best friend, who crawled on my behalf. The DVR functions are easy to use, and I've already configured motion event logs for certain cameras. The wife can easily use this system, as well as my four year old. If you have any questions that I can answer, just shout.

Liber8or,

Are any of those cameras fully exposed to the elements, or are they under eaves or some what protected?

Either way, how have they held up through the past few months of weather?

Are any of those cameras fully exposed to the elements, or are they under eaves or some what protected?

Either way, how have they held up through the past few months of weather?

I don't know enough to open the casing and inspect the insides, so I hope this description helps... Of the four cameras, only one is minimally exposed (the porch) with zero sun and near zero weather. The two cameras on the front yard are what I would (arbitrarily) call only 40-50% exposed (well under the eave, shaded most of the day and don't get a lot of direct sunlight or weather, given typical weather patterns). However, the last camera in the back yard is what I would call 90% exposed (toward the edge of the eave, direct sunlight for most of the day, lots of rain and wind). I can't discern a difference in the picture from the screenshot I attached below and what it looks like today, so I guess the internals of the camera are fine. As for the outside, they have the expected amount of dust, dirt, bugs and spider webs, but the cameras seem to be well sealed and still solid. I wipe them down and knockdown the spider webs and wasp nests when I think about it. The finish on the casing seems to be doing well and they are certainly still attractive looking.

On a side note, the friend who helped me install my system has purchased the exact same system for use at his lady friend's home, where we will be co-installing it this weekend.

Thanks for the response. I have a client of my Father's who wants to install a Camera to watch the Osprey Nest he has in his backyard, so the camera will be fully exposed, though i have thought about building a small "dormer" for it to help protect it.

That is the least of the obstacles, as the nest is about 75 ft from the house and about 20 ft in the air!!

This is my first foray into camera systems, so I've been trolling around here a bit, and have really focused in on the SDE-120, or at least some variation using the Samsung system.

I figured I'd post a general update after answering the last question. The cameras are still working well, but I have found I don't use the remote viewer as often as I thought I would. Funny enough, using this system I found out my yard guy was doing more work than I thought, so I gave him a little bonus.

I haven't posted any nighttime images from the web viewer. Below is an image I captured just a minute ago. Please keep in mind that it looks MUCH better in full resolution on the monitor attached to the DVR. The web version is always lower quality, and its really obvious at night. If you could see the monitor, you'd be amazed at the quality difference at night between it and the web.

You can see my frustration with camera four (back yard), and my need for more lighting. It's very dark and rarely lit. Objects show up well, but I'd like a nice picture like I get in the front yard with the ambient light that is there. Obviously the short throw IR camera on the porch works perfectly in any light.

GUMMY-1.png

I have had trouble getting the sensitivity settings just right, so I get a lot of birds and bugs. Especially at night on camera four, it's triggering stupid motion alarms all night. I'm sure this is all just my fault. My wife is in love with the system, and told me she wasn't so sure when I first proposed the idea, but now she's glad I chose to do this.

I seen that you had some trouble with QR414 dvr, did you just not like the cameras or just the DVR? I thought it was one of the best deals around when the DVR without hard-drive was available for super cheap, unfortunately they do not make them anymore as they are discontinued. Definetely not the best, but was a smokin deal for a decent DVR I though. But I thought the manual was great and very explanatory too so perhaps they updated the manual from the time you bought it and the time that I bought it.

Anyways, we get some of those Samsung cameras in from time to time from Sams Club Store displays. I still havent got one of those DVR's yet but I am hoping one will come our way. I had several of those cameras a couple of weeks ago but sold them in an auction. If you ever have any go out on you, let me know as I will probably have some extras.

Thanks for posting, it's always interesting see results. Looks pretty similar to a Lorex in quality that I had once upon a time.

Motion floods will solve the lighting. On the other hand constant lighting can be a pretty good deterrent.

I had the same problem with the bugs, the IR attracts them. CNB makes a good external IR unit at a reasonable price ~90 if you go that route. I would get the wide angle version.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24535

In this example the IR unit was about 50+ ft away:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24135&start=15