etbrown4

DVR CCTV remotely viewable over the internet

I'm somewhat new to these remote internet setups,

From what I can tell, with every power outage where the modem and router go down, they come back up with a new IP address. (Unless you have a static IP)

Is there any way to lessen the changes with the dynamic IP by using something like at UPS (uninterruptable power supply) ?

Has anyone tried a UPS for this purpose? Will it work?

UPS would only work if the power failure was your building only. If the power at the nearest cable line transformer (on a telephone pole) loses power you are in the same spot as the network will drop out for your block giving all clients new IPs when power restores.

You may wish to look at using a dynamic host so you can always find what IP your equipment is using from your remote location. There are free hosting services for non-commercial like dyndns.com you may wish to check out. This should solve your concern.

http://www.dyndns.com/

I'm somewhat new to these remote internet setups,

From what I can tell, with every power outage where the modem and router go down, they come back up with a new IP address. (Unless you have a static IP)

Not necessarily. One of the "stats" passed by a DHCP server is a "lease time" - that's the amount of time that an IP is granted to a host. As long as the host renews the lease within that time, it should always get the same IP back. With our cable provider here, the lease time is 7 days. With some DSL providers I've seen, it's an hour. You'd need to check your own setup to confirm what your ISP gives you.

As mentioned, there are lease times. Basically in my case I can power down the cable modem all day long and it wont make a difference, they still using the same MAC address from the router and the lease time still applies. When I want a new IP, I power down the Cable Modem, then in the router I release the DHCP from the ISP, then i manually change the MAC address, power up the Cable Modem after 3 minutes and then renew the DHCP from the ISP in the router - thats the only way I can get a new IP from the ISP without waiting for the least time to expire.

So no just a power outage wont necessarily cause the IP to change. Duriing the Summer months we get power outages almost every day, never had an effect.