Sign in to follow this  
liveinxs

Internet vs LAN

hello

not sure if i am gonna phrase this right, but, here it goes...

i have a program that allows me to view my cameras/DVR online...now i have two choices, LAN and Internet, now i notice that when i use the LAN setting, the picture, image and movement of images have less jerkyness, and is so much better and clearer, would anyone be able to address why this would be the case....

i really don't understand this LAN vs Internet thing..

thanks

LAN = Local Area Network, typically fast

Internet = slow upload speed hence the lower quality and fewer frames.

Think about there being two ways to connect to the DVR from a computer.

1 - via the local network - where your computer and DVR are on the same network, or LAN (Local Area Network). Depending on the DVR it can transfer data at 10, 100 or 1000 mbps (most likely 10 or 100 mbps). In this scenario, logon to the DVR using the LAN setting. In effect, your telling the DVR to send data at higher quality because your on a local network that can handle the amount of data transfer required.

2 - via the Internet. When connecting via the Internet the bottleneck is the upload speed of the Internet connection the DVR is connected to. Typically I see upload speeds in my area as 350kbps for DSL and anywhere from 1mbps-3mbps for cable. When you logon to the DVR using the Internet setting you're telling the DVR to transfer data at a lower quality setting because you're connecting via a slower connection. The image quality is lower, because less data is being transmitted, however live viewing is smoother than if you connect via the Internet via the LAN setting*.

*Note: Lately I've been seeing upload speeds of 20mbps (and higher) in my area as Comcast upgrades their network. I had Comcast Internet service installed in a restaurant a few weeks ago and was blown away by the speed tests. Their upload speed was faster than the download speed in my office. Downloading video from the DVR via the Internet is an absolutle pleasure from that loacation.

Think about there being two ways to connect to the DVR from a computer.

1 - via the local network - where your computer and DVR are on the same network, or LAN (Local Area Network). Depending on the DVR it can transfer data at 10, 100 or 1000 mbps (most likely 10 or 100 mbps). In this scenario, logon to the DVR using the LAN setting. In effect, your telling the DVR to send data at higher quality because your on a local network that can handle the amount of data transfer required.

2 - via the Internet. When connecting via the Internet the bottleneck is the upload speed of the Internet connection the DVR is connected to. Typically I see upload speeds in my area as 350kbps for DSL and anywhere from 1mbps-3mbps for cable. When you logon to the DVR using the Internet setting you're telling the DVR to transfer data at a lower quality setting because you're connecting via a slower connection. The image quality is lower, because less data is being transmitted, however live viewing is smoother than if you connect via the Internet via the LAN setting*.

*Note: Lately I've been seeing upload speeds of 20mbps (and higher) in my area as Comcast upgrades their network. I had Comcast Internet service installed in a restaurant a few weeks ago and was blown away by the speed tests. Their upload speed was faster than the download speed in my office. Downloading video from the DVR via the Internet is an absolutle pleasure from that loacation.

thank you,,,very thorough answer....