Preferred Output On DVR

Preferred Output On DVR  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Preferred Output On DVR

• 1. VGA
    • 2. BNC to RCA
    • 3. HDMI
    • 4. Other

just curious, which output on the DVR do you guys prefer / use to connect the DVR to your Monitor:

VGA or BNC to RCA, or HDMI...

i am presently using the VGA output, if anyone knows, would that be the best choice as far as picture quality, or might the BNC to RCA, i don't have a HDMI output on my DVR...

pretty much, i am looking to get the best picture....

Really depends on the DVR. Certainly VGA, DVI or HDMI provide the best image, but many standalone units only have composite outputs, and most PC-based systems limit you to VGA or DVI for desktop/console output (many also have a composite spot output or two).

If you have a VGA and HDMI output on the same DVR, then you will most likely get the same results on the output. Well thats how they are on the Dahua's anyway. I have a flatscreen monitor that has HDMI and VGA input and I have switched between the 2 and cannot notice any difference whatsoever between the 2 outputs using the same exact DVR. We have some older Clinton and GVI DVR's where you cannot tell any difference between the VGA and Composite output but those were made in the day where tube monitors had somewhat of a prescence. But I would say for the most part on all of the newer DVR's being built today, you will get the best results from VGA or HDMI.

It depends on the DVR and the Monitor.

They all differ.

Normally I just use VGA, HDMI if its a big HD LCD, Composite if its an extra monitor.

Composite can be better or worse, depends on the DVR and monitor used.

In the old days composite to a CCTV CRT Monitor or CRT TV was the best, since it was in most cases converting from composite to VGA which is never great.

We have some older Clinton and GVI DVR's where you cannot tell any difference between the VGA and Composite output

Most likely because the output image started as low-res (640x480 or less) composite and was simply fed to an internal composite-to-VGA module. I've seen a number of cheaper units like this... as well as some that had a composite output and were supplied with a composite-to-VGA converter to connect to the supplied cheapie VGA monitor.