grayham

Email and FTP help please

Hello,

I am new to this board so hello all.

I need some help please. I just bought a generic H.264 8 channel DVR of Ebay. Its all set up and I can see my cameras from my phone outside my network etc.

The problem I am having is when the motion alarm is triggered the unit does not fire off an email or an ftp image.

The only identifiable thing I can find on the DVR is the firmware version "V2.62.R07" and the manual is a rather "interestingly" translated one that really offers no help.

I have made sure the email and ftp boxes are ticked under the motion alarm and I cant see any other settings.

This is a link to the ebay page. You need to scroll down.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250849108109&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The seller is no help either and I am on the verge of returning it.

If you can offer any advise or tell me what further information you need, screen shots etc to help resolve this then please do.

Many thanks

Grayham

if the guy is of no help and you are able to send it back. then send it back. its from ebay and you already have a problem. say in 2 months time you have a problem you are stuck. the guy has bad feedback and he has not sold much (thats a warning about him)

for around the same price you could get a dahua DVR (and they come with warranty)

if the guy is of no help and you are able to send it back. then send it back. its from ebay and you already have a problem. say in 2 months time you have a problem you are stuck. the guy has bad feedback and he has not sold much (thats a warning about him)

for around the same price you could get a dahua DVR (and they come with warranty)

I appreciate your opinion and feed back but if this is just a configuration issue then I think it's

a little premature. I have been shopping on ebay for years with no issues.

Do you know anything about this system or what might stop an email from being sent other than server, port and email address issues?

Grayham

Grayham

port and email address issues

what port number are you using and whos server ?? and who is your isp

I am with O2. The server is their open relay which is, relay.o2broadband.co.uk and have tried port 25, 587 and ssl 465.

This relay does not require authentication and port 25 is not blocked unlike their smtp.o2.co.uk server.

I have tried this relay from my email program on the pc and it send fine.

Grayham

This relay does not require authentication and port 25 is not blocked

hi. you dont need authentication if you own the IP (i.e paid for static) you might be better setting up a Google mail account.

as you might have a problem with going though 3rd party with BT. from 02. do you need software to veiw footage from your dvr ?

This relay does not require authentication and port 25 is not blocked

hi. you dont need authentication if you own the IP (i.e paid for static) you might be better setting up a Google mail account.

as you might have a problem with going though 3rd party with BT. from 02. do you need software to veiw footage from your dvr ?

You don't need authentication for this relay. It's open for all O2 broadband customers on dynamic and static ip's. That said I have tried gmail and authenticated smtp servers as well.

I don't think the fault lies with my email or ftp settings. My original post said OTHER than ports, servers etc.

I think there is a problem with the alarm setup somewhere. The motion alarm triggers and will show a message on the screen but will not trigger another process.

Grayham

Got the unit emailing. Rather strangely I had to delete and re-input the subject line for the email??

I found that out with some trial and error. The unit will not email a snapshot though just and alarm event message.

I created a separate snapshot partition as the software seemed to indicate it may require one but no luck.

I created a snapshot only drive but it is not being populated by images.

I'm going to take your original advise and send it back unless you have and answer for this issue

Grayham

i can't agree more with tomCCTV, i too purchased a ebay DVR, and i was VERY quick to realize its limitations...especially the customer service, you thought calling Bombay for computer help was bad, try calling Shanghai for DVR help, think about ordering chinese food, but ten times worst...

customer service is EVERYTHING, case in point, i just purchased a new dvr , let me tell you, this guy spent well over 3 hours between yesterday and today helping me get this thing sorted...THAT is CUSTOMER SERVICE....

not to mention , the DVR is SICK, has everything you might want...or need...

remember, you get what you pay for...

well again let me put my two sense in. if the server is ran off of linux, linux sometimes does not rights a "T" as a "t" caps is a big issue with linux. windows servers are easier to configure. does you subject begin with a cap? or did it begin with a capital letter when you had this issue?

well again let me put my two sense in. if the server is ran off of linux, linux sometimes does not rights a "T" as a "t" caps is a big issue with linux. windows servers are easier to configure. does you subject begin with a cap? or did it begin with a capital letter when you had this issue?

I use Linux at home, have done for years and I know exactly what your saying about it being case sensitive. I have been caught out like that before.

The subject line was and is still with a capital letter. This is a subject line though and not a server address so should not have mattered to Linux.

I have sent an email to the guy asking for a refund and will see how that goes.

So what the best 8 channel system with a 2 to 4 or more cameras I can get for £300?

Grayham

i think that sign is euro? but here in usa you can get a eco lorex system from wholesalers clubs 4ch for 300usd... its a limited dvr system but as someone said in an earlier post, get the dvr seperate from the cameras. it is true.... the premade cables that come with the kits are dainty.... its serves its purpose for monitoring a small property or home. the cameras are good. an example of the system is on my website homepage which is located in my sig.