jryan

ApexCCTV AP-FD09 9ch dvr

A google search of the model number will show the website which sells this DVR...

Judging by the specs at the basic $779, its only so-so for a 9-ch DVR with no hard drive installed. If you could save up and buy a $1000-$1300 DVR you would be way better off!

Why I don't like it:

-Only takes 2 internal SATA drives, and that is if you don't install an optical drive, then its just one!

-Max FPS at D1 is only 13FPS per channel (120FPS/9CH) - you could get away with this but I wouldn't

-No HDMI Out

-Its not a major brand - just a rebrand from a website

-probably more

Also, you are getting ripped off for the hard drives - they are adding on at least 50% of the price of the hard drive, compared to what you would pay for a similar one from say, Newegg. $300 for a 2TB HD?

A google search of the model number will show the website which sells this DVR...

Judging by the specs at the basic $779, its only so-so for a 9-ch DVR with no hard drive installed. If you could save up and buy a $1000-$1300 DVR you would be way better off!

Why I don't like it:

-Only takes 2 internal SATA drives, and that is if you don't install an optical drive, then its just one!

-Max FPS at D1 is only 13FPS per channel (120FPS/9CH) - you could get away with this but I wouldn't

-No HDMI Out

-Its not a major brand - just a rebrand from a website

-probably more

Also, you are getting ripped off for the hard drives - they are adding on at least 50% of the price of the hard drive, compared to what you would pay for a similar one from say, Newegg. $300 for a 2TB HD?

Could you point me in the direction of a better 8 or 9 channel DVR?

About this one:

As far as I can tell, it's the FDS-H from 4nsys.com in case that helps

Do I need more than 13FPS per channel at D1? This is just for a house, not commercial anything. I don't want to need 6TB of storage just to store a month of video.

I was most definitely not planning on buying a hdd from apexcctv. I'll just grab a 2tb on newegg for $80 and put it in myself. I think there was a good samsung one for that price.

HDMI out would definitely be nice, but is it worth another $400?

Overall, I would love to find another one for a reasonable price, if you can help me out. I'm simply lost trying to find a decent one, judging by the results I keep getting on google. Any help would be appreciated.

For a typical home situation, no you don't need more than 13FPS each. But typically, I wouldn't go below 8FPS at all. The reason it is a little concerning is that if you need a channel to run at 20 or 30FPS (for example at the end of a driveway or something), and you already have all the other channels maxed out, you can't do it. Plus, I don't know how fine the FPS choices are.

You are correct, 2TB would be fine for 9 channels, at 13FPS each, if you want months of recording.

Depending on your setup, HDMI could be useful - but in home situations, probably not.