wbmurray

Remotely access the local admin pages

I have just recently purchased my first Security camera system. Its a SWANN H.264 4-camera setup. My intended use will be at a remote location and would like the ability to manage the setup screens remotely. I have setup the ability to view the cameras from my iPhone and Mac and that works fine.

Since the physical DVR device will be a couple hours away from me most of the time I'd like to be able to manage the administration of the DVR.

I was thinking of something like VNC or RDP but my testing has failed

I'd welcome any ideas!

Thanks

Bill

That should be pretty simple... all you need is to configure an HTTP port on the DVR, forward that port thru your router (all at the remote site) and then use a dynamic DNS service to give you an easy way to access it.

Use this site to help you with the port forwarding: http://www.portforward.com just find your model of router and it will walk you thru the process.

As for the DDNS service, I am fairly certain that SWANN runs their own DDNS and it should be free for you. http://www.swann.com/s/techcenter/DDNS

Thanks for your reply.

I do have remote access to the videos but what I'm trying to accomplish is "console access" so I can adjust settings that are only available from the monitor attached to the DVR. (Motion tuning, schedule, etc)

Thanks

Thanks for your reply.

I do have remote access to the videos but what I'm trying to accomplish is "console access" so I can adjust settings that are only available from the monitor attached to the DVR. (Motion tuning, schedule, etc)

You do need to access the DVR on the web interface, like ssnapier told you.

Apologies - I will do some more trying. I had only used the Mac client or the mobile option (neither of which offered the same capabilities as the console)

Haven't connected to the DVR using a web browser.

Thanks for the guidance.

OK with your tips I figured it out. I was unsuccessful in accessing my DVR from my Macbook using safari. I tried it from a PM using IE and it loaded an actives control and ba bing I had access to all the admin controls I wanted.

Thanks for your direction!

Bill

Yeah, sorry about that. I forgot to mention that nearly all low-mid range DVR's require Active X controls and must be on IE. I am glad you got it sorted it out though, have fun!