Sign in to follow this  
ViciousBiscuit

CCTV DVR, remote viewing resolutions

Hi all, apologies in advance if this has been covered before, did a search and cant find anything that answeres my question.

I am wanting to upgrade the dvr at my parents, currently its a cop security dvr but i've never been able to remotely view the camera's and i think this is due to needing a DDNS (Tried and failed to get it working no matter what)

I plan to get a new dvr with DDNS built in, and have seen a few, however i want to know if there are any out there which i can view the feeds over the internet at D1 resolution, all the ones i have looked at state they record and display locally at D1 but over network (internet) they can only do cif resolution.

Surely there are some dvr's out there that you can remote view at D1? Its not as if its that much data.

Thanks

The only unit I've used thus far with D1 as a sub stream choice is in fact an NVR, not a DVR- that being a dahua. I've never seen a DVR with D1 sub stream, but of course I haven't seen them all! Might be some. CIF for sub stream is perfectly fine for me, anyway.

Thanks for the quick reply, i was concerned about the quality of cif but i guess as long as the local recording and viewing is at D1 then thats the important thing.

I take it DVR's that support remote viewing also allow you to control the DVR remotely via a login? So if for example i wanted to change settings or save some footage to a usb stick already connected, i could do that remotely without having to pop round my parents?

Thanks

Yes, once logged in remotely you can do that, as well as save footage locally to your computer as well and just email what you need. CIF sub stream also plays nice with phone apps too, so the real time video looks fine and it's streams better too. I should clarify to say that in the case of dahua, for example, I can choose to remotely monitor in main stream D1 as well. Whether it's in PSS software or web service, I can monitor either or. In fact, in some situations it'll default to sub stream and then when you double click a window for full size it'll automatically change to your main stream settings. So it's not like you can't do D1 remotely- it's just easier on the networks on both ends and the computer itself to go with sub stream. But the choice is there, at least with my dahua. Good luck.

Thanks again for the quick reply, thats cleared things up nicely!

I'll do a bit more research and hopefully get one soon, cant wait to be able to view and control the pelco ptz dome i have outside my parents, from the comfort of my own place

Thanks again