arandre

Which card would you choose?

Hi everyone,

New to the forum but have been read a lot of good info here for the last few days.

I previously had a Q-See system that has bit the dust and I'm not repairing as its out of warranty. I'm looking for a replacement DVR and was thinking of building my own. I have seen a few cards but trying to make up my mind is difficult.

I currently have 4 cameras and looking for a card to support that and allow for mobile viewing.

Was cards come to mind? Any suggestions??

I was looking at that Geovision GV-600B card, is that a good enough card for my situation?

Much thanks for your help and guidance.

Angelo

Almost all the chip suppliers are gone, as they can not compete cheap stand alone DVRs. Most of cards will be gone as well, except one or two. Ebay offers some new PCI cards, supporting remote views on your browser or smart phones.

It's a good card from a good company but I have no idea what your situation is. Just don't buy one off of EBay. The vast majority of EBay Geovision cards are unreliable fakes. Before sinking serious money into a computer and analog Geovision card, personally I'd look into something like a Lorex or Swann hi definition network camera and NVR bundle from Costco. It's a bit more money than just replacing your dead DVR, but then you've got new hidef cameras to go with the new NVR, rather than putting significant time and money locking yourself into your old analog QSee cameras. The biggest issue might be replacing the wiring, depending on how difficult it is to re-run Cat 5 in place of your coax.

The biggest questions between embedded vs PC based are:

1. Are you planning to expand? PC based systems let you ad more cards or add more IP licenses. Embedded usually are as SOLD. The exception would be hybrids. 8 analog 4 IP etc. If you need 8 now yo u have a little room. PC based can typically go from 64-128 cameras (not recommended past 64).

2. Number and size of drives. 14-30 days is typical but some want 6-12 months which PC has more expansion options. Embeddeds with eSATA ports allow outside expansion.

3. PC based allows for add on functions, Analytics, Access control, automation, video enhancement, etc. Embedded can be crudely configured to offer limited functions such as opening doors and turning on/off lights.

4. PC OS may require updating on a regular basis but embedded have glitches and security leaks too that has a much smaller community to support it. (Squeaky wheel gets the grease).

5. Repairs. If a part goes out on a PC, you can repair individually. If an embedded goes out 9 out of 10 your SOL.

Most decisions go back to #3 in determining which features you need and #1 expansion plans.

If the basics are what you need then embedded units are typically the most cost effective to purchase and operate as long as they have mouse control and/or web access. This world does not need any more remote controls.

If you building a DVR just for curiosity, buy the embedded and use all your spare time with the wife and kids instead.

I agree mostly to varascope.

As to PC -card, if you are lucky, you can get the Device Driver from the chip supplier. Then you can create your own value added features. That's not possible from standalone DVR and PC card suppliers, because they do not like any prospective competitors growing out there.