Sign in to follow this  
Phoenixgreg

Swann DVR’s remote sensor doesn't work after firmware update

Here are my Swann DVR’s specifications:

Firmware update file: DVR84000DM8147.0131.779.676.10.2.nor.sw.S300.pak

Firmware Version: TNMB01

DVR model #: SWDVK-840008 D1 Realtime H.264 DVR

When I took the firmware upgrade from the tech support representative on 01/09/2014, I was very pleased with many new features that had been a problem with the OEM software. It’s still not perfect but the DVR’s features were greatly improved over the initial version. It didn’t occur to me to test out the remote control, but a day after the upgrade, I tried it and the DVR would not respond to it. When I called tech support back, they denied the firmware could cause any problems and they tried to sell me a new remote which I declined.

I found a trick on the web as to how to test a remote control by aiming it at a digital camera in the dark, sure enough, the remote emits a blue light to the camera when I pressed any of the buttons on the remote – so the remote is fine. What I believe happened now is the IR sensor in the DVR’s face has been disabled somehow by the firmware.

Note: the front panel buttons and mouse still work perfectly, also the password function has NOT been enabled on the system.

Here’s what I’ve tried to no avail:

1) Pressed the “0” key on the remote followed by the menu button – no response from remote

2) Held the remote almost next to the IR sensor – still no response from remote

3) Tried rebooting the DVR using the “Factory Default” button on the maintenance screen. Again, no response from the DVR via the remote after the reboot.

I don’t know how to get back to the original OEM software to prove it’s the latest firmware. It seems once you take a firmware update – that’s it.

Has anyone else with a Swann 8 camera DVR experienced this after a firmware upgrade or does someone have a solution to restore the IR sensor? Thanks in advance for any advice that would be helpful.

Update: here's a YouTube video showing the problem more clearly.

http//:www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ArQM8Fe-NY&list=PL1WRcACD7tqZrk2O4JU7DBr1qj8HecUST

Sorry, BBcodes are not working here so to see the video, copy the URL above and paste it in your browser's address bar to view it.

Sometimes the trick is to take a older version and re-name it so it numerically is higher.

IE: 3.4.17 is current. 3.4.12 is old. Rename to 3.4.18

Worth a try. You might want to rename from a DOS prompt as Windows sometimes adds extra bytes.

Either way let us know.