Sign in to follow this  
bper

Trouble viewing DVR remotely after changing modem/router

Hi,

Our router/modem was replaced by our ISP with an actiontec GT784WNV. All that was done with the old setup was to assign an IPAddress in the range of the modem, assign port numbers for the HTTP and Server on the DVR, then open the ports with port forwarding on the router. After going through all of those steps, I get a 404 when trying to resolve the address with the new modey/router.

I have a qsee 426 dvr and the ports being used is 2078 and 2079.

Using and online port check tool, it shows that the ports are open.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

Has your LAN range changedwith the change of router? Loads of people miss this simple detail when changing routers.

Check if the range identifier i.e the third set of digits in your IP address of your router, has changed. That DVR by default has a LAN of 192.168.0.1 If the 0 replaces a 1 from your previous router the settings inyour network menu wont work unless you change the default gateway so enable DHCP and restart then disable DHCP.

BUT, You did say the ports were reporting " open", if you selected TCP or UDP if you haven't already done it, select both from the drop down on the router.

248186_1.jpg

Its just occured to me that your firewall may not be turned on? check a few random ports to see if they too are open if they are you will need to turn the firewall on in the router settings

Good luck............. hope this has been some small help

Thank you for your response.

The router's ipaddress and range has been changed to the same as the previous router. We don't use the default ipaddress range of the router or dhcp. We specify ipaddresses within the range of the router for each device on the network. The router sees the dvr and recognizes its ipaddress.

Good question. On the old router i could select 'both' from the protocol drop down list. On the new router the choices are tcp, udp and gre. So, I have 2 rules for the same address and ports. 1 for tcp and 1 for udp. The firewall setting was originally set to 'nat only'. I changed the firewall to low security and there was no change in results.

Is there anything else that could be happening? Is there a simple scenario to test?

Go back to the beginning,

remove ALL the rules you created.

Back to the DVR check DHCP to enable it okay that and restart the DVR, then go into network menu

and uncheck the DHCP and change the device identifier to a free location. I always use 201-210 because

that way I can add other DVRs later and the 201 is DVR 1 202is DVR2 etc. )Never needed more than 5

on one network) Now okay that (save) and restart your DVR

Login to your router, "192.168.0.1" and take a look at the 'connected devices' and see if your device is identified.

(no reason it shouldn't other than an abscent or malfunctioning ethernet cable)

I'm not sure if this router which is a new one on me, uses IP reservation, but it should do so look for that and select and reserve it.

Now recreate your rules and assign to your DVRs IP. save and logout.

It amazes me that often people don't hit the APPLY or SAVE button

Don't try to leave the rules in before identifying and reserving your DVR's IP, IT WON'T WORK

Now test the open ports and then if reporting open, switch off or remove the ethernet cable to the DVR and test again they should be closed.

Now reconnect your ethernet cable refresh and view connected devices, if you DVR is there again logout and try the remote software and apps. The HTTP port may not work without installing Active X.

I don't know as both the router and the DVR are not brands I am familiar with here in the UK.

This method is good for Netgear routers too and never fails with Netgear

I love Netgear Routers despite hating the company that bears that name, their warranty stinks.

Buy a new device and if it fail in the first year even straight out of the box, they will let you have a refurbished unit. Sound like a good deal.....NOT

Thank you for your response.

Good question. On the old router i could select 'both' from the protocol drop down list. On the new router the choices are tcp, udp and gre. So, I have 2 rules for the same address and ports. 1 for tcp and 1 for udp. The firewall setting was originally set to 'nat only'. I changed the firewall to low security and there was no change in results.

Is there anything else that could be happening? Is there a simple scenario to test?

Yes thats the same as the Draytec Vigor and some others, okay so it's not so bad at least there's nothing difficult to work out

and yes its more work but hey you hopefully will only have to get it right once.