olddaddy

New guy with likely fried Samsung DVR........

Hey there! I signed onto the forum after looking for info about saving or repairing my likely fried Samsung SDR 5001 DVR. We had a very close lightning strike in the yard that killed some of the electronics in the house. The tv, cable box, roku, oui, all got fried. The DVR has 12V power to it and the shelf is warm underneath it, the mouse has power and the monitor is on, but the DVR does not power up. Dead? I attempted to get tech support from Samsung, but it is over 90 days old and a refurb so they want $200 up front. Since I know nothing about this sort of thing I was hoping someone here could guide me a bit. I would guess it is dead and needs to be replaced? If so, should I opt for another Samsung 5001 or another brand? Can a novice open it up and replace the affected bits? No idea on the condition of the ten cameras since the DVR doesn't come on. I appreciate being able to access the forum, many thanks right up front.

Life is Outstanding!

There are a number of things you could try to pinpoint the fault. First suspect will be the power supply but you say the 12v is ok & the mouse has power. You could open the unit up and have a look around. There isn't much in there only a circuit board for the panel controls , a motherboard & the hard drive. Look around for an internal fuse that might be blown. If you have a spare hard drive lying around try putting that in. Some DVRs test for the hard drive before they will do anything else.

For a little more than the $200 upfront you could buy a new one with warranty so I wouldn't spend too much time on it. In the early days of DVRs Samsung & the other large manufacturers had the game to themselves but nowdays there are many many more manufacturers of quality gear. I am a firm believer in the length of warranty you get. Quality gear will give a good warranty. I dont know where you are but in Australia I can buy a 16 Chan DVR with a 3 yr warranty for $380 trade price.

Thanks for the reply and advice. I appreciate your knowledge. I'm in Florida, USA. I suspect buying is in my future as I am a complete novice at this, but will at least look inside for curiosity sake.