Sign in to follow this  
wxviewer

QT428 over time shuts down..Continuous tone sounds.

Anyone familiar with a QT428 that at varying times will shut down and emit a continuous tone?

I have also noted that the lights on the front that are on when this happens varies as well.

I power cycle the unit and all is well until the next time it happens(again, no rhyme or reason when).

Thank you for any help you can provide. This unit was purchased in 2012.

Bob

Anyone familiar with a QT428 that at varying times will shut down and emit a continuous tone?

I have also noted that the lights on the front that are on when this happens varies as well.

I power cycle the unit and all is well until the next time it happens(again, no rhyme or reason when).

Thank you for any help you can provide. This unit was purchased in 2012.

Bob

don't know if you have your answer yet but here is the possible problem and solution.

1. problem: cpu is being overheated. solution: open up the DVR add mini fans to exhaust the heat. there are at least one available fan connector on the main board.

2. problem: hard drive is failing. solution: use newer NAS type hard drive for longer write cycles.

3. The system is old, use a lot of power, and will fail again in short time even if you manage to keep it running. I suggest you invest in the newer IP based camera and lower power usage NVR. 720p is ok, but I would recommend 1080p for clarity.

good luck

Thank you Richard for the reply. I actually just tried letting it run without the HD attached at all it ran great for 3 days, then finally croaked again.

I'll have to look into the overheating CPU issue u spoke of.

I do have some unused aluminum heat sinks I can try with my thermal compound/adhesive.

I'll keep you informed!

Thanks

Bob