Sign in to follow this  
Bluesman

No hdd

Hello all!

New here, and I have an issue with a Defender DVR model 21010. I used this DVR and accompanying system for about 3 years. Upgraded and decided to install this old system at my parents' home. Have everything installed and hooked up and DVR won't record. Says "no hdd". Cannot get it to format. Page showing hdd info has all zeros. Never any problems since new. Unit was disconnected 3 or 4 days. Any help would be appreciated. I'd rather buy a new system than sink anything into fixing this, as it is not that great to begin with. But if it's something simple, then someone could get some use from it. Better than no system, I guess.

Cheers,

Greg

Hello all!

New here, and I have an issue with a Defender DVR model 21010. I used this DVR and accompanying system for about 3 years. Upgraded and decided to install this old system at my parents' home. Have everything installed and hooked up and DVR won't record. Says "no hdd". Cannot get it to format. Page showing hdd info has all zeros. Never any problems since new. Unit was disconnected 3 or 4 days. Any help would be appreciated. I'd rather buy a new system than sink anything into fixing this, as it is not that great to begin with. But if it's something simple, then someone could get some use from it. Better than no system, I guess.

Cheers,

Greg

its probably a failed drive....but be a good son and get at least a 720p system for your folks.

I just upgraded to a 720p system, and the difference is almost stunning.

Any recommendations for a system that is NOT nvr based, and would be uncomplicated for elderly, totally NOT techie folks? That would include my 95 year old father-in-law who lives alone.

Cheers,

Greg

I just upgraded to a 720p system, and the difference is almost stunning.

Any recommendations for a system that is NOT nvr based, and would be uncomplicated for elderly, totally NOT techie folks? That would include my 95 year old father-in-law who lives alone.

Cheers,

Greg

An NVR is no more complicated to operate than DVR....how many cameras? what is your budget and where do you live?

Doesn't an nvr have to be connected to the internet? The parents live in the country and have internet service, but a very old computer that is always giving trouble. They even have trouble with cell reception. We're in south central Ohio.

Not terribly concerned about budget, but would like to stay around $300-400 since we may buy 2 systems with 4 cameras each.

Doesn't an nvr have to be connected to the internet? The parents live in the country and have internet service, but a very old computer that is always giving trouble. They even have trouble with cell reception. We're in south central Ohio.

Not terribly concerned about budget, but would like to stay around $300-400 since we may buy 2 systems with 4 cameras each.

No, that is a common misconception. They do not have to be connected to the internet. Many NVR's even have POE port for the camera so you dont even need a router and its all plug and play.

Here are two options for you.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/qsee-4x4-secrty-sys/prod11570578.ip?navAction=

This unit is a NVR - rebranded dahua disregard the picture on top that has BNC connectors. The photos on bottom are correct.

Other systems go on sale all the time. You just missed this one, 4 camera 8ch system for 450, rebranded hikvison.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8144164-laview-lv-kn988p86a4-premium-ip-surveillance-system-8-channel-nvr-6-x-full-hd-1080p-day-night-in-outdoor-cameras-579-99-newegg?v=1&src=SiteSearch

If you plan on 8 cameras, then buy an 8 camera system.